Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you go?

Default Where would you go?

Okay so I've been checking out the DFG stocking report for this week and I was wondering...of the available options...where would you guys go FOR SHORELINE TROUT FISHING out of these options...and why? I'm tryin to plan my memorial day fishing this Saturday and I want some advice!

Jenks
    Big Bear
    Arrow Bear
    Green Valley
    Silverwood
    Jackson

I'm not interested in lake Gregory this weekend cause there's gonna be a trout derby and I'm assuming that'll be more packed than usual. Anyways remember, shoreline fishing for trout guys. Thank you so much!

GVL will give you your shot at the biggest fish, but get there early because of crowds.

Jenks won't open up the parking lot till next weekend.

Big Bear. I'd rather eat fish with pink meat than those mushy DFG stockers.

Lol! Yeah Skyler I hear you on that, the clean lookin pink meat beats the hell out of the dark red stocker everytime! I'm taking my friend and it's his first time so I'm more concerned about where the bite will be the best ya know? I practice c&r pretty regularly and because I use those power worms on a drop shot rig 95% of the time, I don't have trouble releasing the fish unharmed. Don't get me wrong though, if I catch a few decent sized ones I'll hold on to them and have trout taco time later!

Quote Originally Posted by SlayinRainbows View Post
    Lol! Yeah Skyler I hear you on that, the clean lookin pink meat beats the hell out of the dark red stocker everytime!
    You MUST C&R a lot, because stockers don't have dark red meat. Their meat is white and bland, with a bit of a mossy taste. The lining of the stomach is redish. But if you fillet and rinse them you'll see the meat itself is white.

About a year ago I went up to Azusa. My friend caught a couple of half way stockers and I caught a couple plus one big *** wild that I just had to keep and eat. When we cut open the stockers they seemed much, much darker than the pink native. Anyways, I'm relatively new to all of this which is why I joined this forum. Everybody (for the most part) seems to be pretty chill and willing to help and it's been great. In the past year this site has helped me step up my game a lot.

GVL is a real nice and small lake and if u are taking the fan bam its a great place. kids can enjoy a day in the water and u can fish the lake. trout bite was really off this last saturday but the panfish very active. I was using a powermouse on a jig head and was killing them good luck out there. Don't for get to post up a report of were ever u go

Quote Originally Posted by SlayinRainbows View Post
    About a year ago I went up to Azusa. My friend caught a couple of half way stockers and I caught a couple plus one big *** wild that I just had to keep and eat. When we cut open the stockers they seemed much, much darker than the pink native. Anyways, I'm relatively new to all of this which is why I joined this forum. Everybody (for the most part) seems to be pretty chill and willing to help and it's been great. In the past year this site has helped me step up my game a lot.
    If you guys split their belly and gut them, then what you were seeing is the membrane that lines the thoracic cavity. Probably with some blood in the mix. Here's a good video showing how to fillet a trout. Then you can see what the meat really looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYRxl_-ErY

The ones at Big Bear are red, like salmon. This is caused by the Gammarid shrimp they feed on. If you catch one there with white meat, it is a recent stocker.

I would pick Big Bear lake if it was me. Fishing near the dam has always been productive when I fish shore there.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast