Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assistance with a few stream/river fish identification

That's what he said, Shrugz. Perhaps he mistook it for a different suckerfish?

I bass fish and hit some creeks, if I catch a fish that isn't a trout in a creek it tends to be a sad little bass, I don't know what all these things are. Time to learn them, so I appreciate the help.

I will have to do the same from now on when I surf fish (rarely) and catch fish that aren't one of the very few I know.

They're pretty hard to identify online. The squawfish pics on the species page had no blue line, etc. Makes it hard when that's the main defining feature I see. I'm doing a much better job with my bird book. There were a lot of other varied rainbows caught, very pretty, and saw a mountain lion cross the river in the morning right by me where I was casting. Pretty nice area.

Kern river rainbow
    Brown
    Pikeminnow

Nicely done sir

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNLIC View Post
    Kern river rainbow
    Brown
    Pikeminnow

Nicely done sir
    FSHNLIC is correct. The last one is a northern pikeminnow, formerly (and incorrectly) classified as a northern squawfish. The first one is a native rainbow but looks to have some genetics from a Little Kern Golden. The have interbred extensively for years. It is nearly impossible to find a pure Little Kern Golden trout anymore. One of the indicators is the length of the pectoral fins. A true Golden has over sized "wings" compared to a rainbow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12