Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Night boating question

Default Night boating question

Ok guys i have a question for all you night boaters. I recently was looking for some navigation lights for my boat and i bought some portable led lights that use batteries. I got both the red/green light and the stern light. I havent opened them because i want to make sure there are ok to use otherwise ill go return them and get the other lights that go connected to a battery. So can any of you tell me if i will be ok with these lights? They are made by innovative lighting inc. I will be most likely night fishing corona lake and irvine lake for catfish. Thanks for any help.

You are totally legal with batt. powered lights. The LED's are so batt. friendly, you may only need to change batts. once a year or so. On private lakes you are less likely to be hassled for infractions. The Coast Guard has "glow lights" that they will let you have if you are out after dark ... just be polte, and say your batteries died. No one is looking to hassle you.
    Last edited by heydaad; 05-16-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: correction

It isn't about getting hassled....it's about being seen so another boater doesn't run you over because you couldn't be seen. As stated, you are legal with battery powered lights (my sailboat's lights are battery operated....albeit a bigger battery bank). Carry a flashlight as well to signal your prescence if someone if getting close.

You can also carry a red & green light sticks for when a light fails or battery dies.

Quote Originally Posted by heydaad View Post
    You are totally legal with batt. powered lights. The LED's are so batt. friendly, you may only need to change batts. once a year or so. On private lakes you are less likely to be hassled for infractions. The Coast Guard has "glow lights" that they will let you have if you are out after dark ... just be polte, and say your batteries died. No one is looking to hassle you.
    Do the batteries literaly last a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    It isn't about getting hassled....it's about being seen so another boater doesn't run you over because you couldn't be seen. As stated, you are legal with battery powered lights (my sailboat's lights are battery operated....albeit a bigger battery bank). Carry a flashlight as well to signal your prescence if someone if getting close.
    Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    You can also carry a red & green light sticks for when a light fails or battery dies.
    Thats a good idea. Thanks

Running lights have everything to do with the size of the boat. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName...Content#rule23
    but if your fishing irvine of some other pay lakes they really do not seem to care.. I would suggest bring some manner of bright flashlight to fend off the rent skiffs that will try and run you over..and to help you if your way back in the trees...

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncider View Post
    Running lights have everything to do with the size of the boat. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName...Content#rule23
    but if your fishing irvine of some other pay lakes they really do not seem to care.. I would suggest bring some manner of bright flashlight to fend off the rent skiffs that will try and run you over..and to help you if your way back in the trees...
    Thanks for the info dixoncider. Ill make sure to take a flashight.