Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rod Holder schematics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rod Holder schematics

Can anyone help out with some specs to build a simple pvc rod holder for my Creek Company ODC420UL? Im still a beginner to tubing, and one thing Id like to do for my tube is to build a simple little rod holder for it. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'd go with the Bass Pro rod holders if you can, I've had mine for 7 years now the one problem with PVC is you can't adjust the angle when kicking and sometimes that makes the difference especially when fishing open bail.

Don't have any schematics but I do have some pics of a rod holder I made for a Caddis float tube a few months back.

^^^Thats too SICK!!! Thanks a whole lot, man!!! I think Ill be able to work off of those pics!!!

And thank you too, Prowler, for your suggestion!!!

I use one of these on the side of my float tube

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...t/104702/72501

On the top two holes I placed some eye-bolts and attached them to my tube with carabiners and I placed bungy cord from the bottom side onto the d-rings of the tube

I also have one of these for trolling

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...t/25436/104483

Not sure how mechanical you are but here is the best article you will find on a killer float tube rack. Written by the man himself....Sapdawg!!!
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...to-quot-w-pics
    Should work ok for the ODC, might be minor adjustments, but remember always test fit before glueing
    Last edited by phishin phool; 05-29-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler_Tuber View Post
    I'd go with the Bass Pro rod holders if you can, I've had mine for 7 years now the one problem with PVC is you can't adjust the angle when kicking and sometimes that makes the difference especially when fishing open bail.

X2!

In the salt usually you need to bring bigger and more equipment that may not fit the over the counter rod holders very well, I think that's where the PVC rigs were started for float tubing the salt.

I know my buddy has had a simple PVC setup that carries 4 rods he created intitially for the salt but he's a nut when it comes to bringing too much gear with him. Depends on your target species or if you plan on targeting multiple species at once, if you are after trout or cat do you really need that elaborate of a setup?

Really simplicity is what attracted me to float tubing, blow up the tube strap on a rod holder or 2 and go. Some of these designs mean more setup time and a lot more stuff to bring with you out to the lake, just something to think about.

I use a BPS type holder and a 3rd grip strapped on the same side. I don't like a bunch of stuff hanging off my right side cause I do a lot of fly fishing and the more crap to tangle with can really suck.

I am very impressed with some of the rigs but if you aren't carrying a fish finder (you can also get a strap on holder for a fish finder), don't want to film using a Go Pro mount etc.. do you really need an elaborate setup?