Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara on Jenks Lake, San Bernadino Mtns

Default Tenkara on Jenks Lake, San Bernadino Mtns

Last Friday, 5/11, I took my new Tenkara pole (Fountainhead 330 Caddis, 11', using 15' hi viz flouro, 3' 6x tippit) to try and catch some trout for the first time on tenkara. I had used it for the first time a week ago at a local pond and caught 6 bluegill in about 45 minutes using a #18 elk hair caddis, man was that a blast. Got to the lake about 5:30am with a buddy, and a little early for the fly and I was bummed. We took out the lightweight spinner, tied on super dupers, and got after it. I caught 2 nice bows in about 45 minutes, plus one tiny 5" bow. About 6:30 the sun got started to pop over the ridgeline and fish started rising, and so did my blood pressure and heart rate. I love the sight of bows popping up all over the water with that early morning glare. I got out the tenkara pole, tied on a #16 griffin gnat, extended to the 11' and started after the bows. It took a little bit and the sun to get a little higher over the ridge, but eventually I had my first trout on a tenkara pole, then I lost my first trout on a tenkara pole. haha. about 3 seconds of sheer joy followed by a bummer. I had a few more hits and risers over the next 30-40 minutes, but the fish weren't that active in I was fishing in deep water off a pier, probably 10-15ft deep.

My buddy got his line messed up so i leaned my tenkara pole against the pier and put the fly on the ground by my feet. Somehow the fly slipped through the openings in the wood on the floor and got down to the water and a large trout took the fly. I noticed my line taking off and grabbed it, but it was stuck between the slats. I yelled at my buddy to get the net and I was going to hang over the pier and try to net the trout while holding the line. I got a glimpse of it and it was big, real big. Unfortunately before I could get the net over the edge the bow broke my 6x (2lb) tippet and took off with my fly. Darn, first big trout on the tenkara and first tippet broken, caught through an gap between boards on the pier.haha

A little later I moved off the pier to a shallow area where trout were rising and the water was crystal clear. I moved around, hiding behind bushes and trees, casting into places I could never do with my western fly pole, and the bite was on. Over the next two hours I caught and released about a dozen bows, all good size and keepers if you were eating them. the smallest was about 8" and the biggest about 12-13". Others were fishing with spinners and power bait and catching occassionaly, but the bows wanted the fly. I had a blast with the tenkara and will probably never take my western fly pole out again. Here's some pics of a few of the catches. I tried to keep them in the net as much as possible so they'd stay healthy and somebody else could catch and eat them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-11-12 Jenks Lake 1.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	35237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-11-12 Jenks Lake 2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	35238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-11-12 Jenks Lake 3.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	35239
    Last edited by HighSierratrout; 05-15-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Great report. Those are some beautiful bows. I just got a Tenkara and can't wait to use it. I'm just waiting for my furled line to arrive.

I got the hi viz flouro to try simply because somebody gave me advice that it might be easier as a beginner to use the hi viz flouro because you could see the line easier and learn to cast better. I don't know though because I don't watch my line when I cast. I can feel if the back cast sucked or if it was fluid, kinda like hitting the baseball on the sweet part of the bat, you can just feel its perfection.

The tenkara pole is definitely a blast and I've already decided to purchase another rod, a longer, heavier, stiffer pole so I can fish larger browns, rainbows, and bass. I'm planning on catching some 5lb browns around Mammoth Lakes next month so we'll see, haha. I'm leaving all my other fishing gear in the Inland Empire and only taking my tenkara stuff to Mammoth, should make some extra room in the car and backpack on the trail.

Looks like those Tenkara rods are a lot more versatile than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Looks like those Tenkara rods are a lot more versatile than I thought.
    Sure they are,just gotta learn how to use em properly

6. Default

Beautiful fish! Congrats on your Tenkara outing, I just got to take mine out and caught my first fish on it. Very interesting way to fish.

good looking fish!!!! congrats

Nice catches on the Tenkara. I currently fish with the AMAGO 13'6" TenkaraUSA rod .. definitely strong enough for those browns...

Was the parking lot open? Or did you have to walk down?

Very cool report mang, and kudos on the release. It looks as tho i may need to get up there with the fly...

Looking forward to your mammoth report and i commend you on only wanting to bring fly equipment, thats the only way i got better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast