Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Why doesn't DFG stock brown trout in Big Bear Lake?

Default Why doesn't DFG stock brown trout in Big Bear Lake?

It would seem like Big Bear Lake would be an awesome lake for brown trout. Cold water, tons of food such as sucker fish, sun fish and crawdads.
    Any reason why they don't?

Quote Originally Posted by 1HR2BBL View Post
    It would seem like Big Bear Lake would be an awesome lake for brown trout. Cold water, tons of food such as sucker fish, sun fish and crawdads.
    Any reason why they don't?
    I'd rather hook into their 'Bows TBH. Not to mention those browns could possibly ruin the fishery..

Brown trout are very aggressive and will attack trout as large as them.

Browns would thrive in that lake ! They handle warm water much better then the bows and the bows are all put and take anyhow. BRING BROWNS TO BIG BEAR !!

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    I'd rather hook into their 'Bows TBH. Not to mention those browns could possibly ruin the fishery..

Brown trout are very aggressive and will attack trout as large as them.
    Funny you mention that. I saw a rainbow this weekend at Lake Gregory that looked like it had gotten attacked. I can't be for sure that it was brown, but it just didn't look like a bird attack.

I can only see one upside to stocking browns, and it is that when the fish get large enough anglers will have a lot of fun hooking into big browns with Hudds and swimbait set-ups.

If I can remember correctly, doesn't big bear lake have a reproducing rainbow population?

I could have sworn I remember something about the tributaries that flow into BBL are closed during spring for the spawn.