Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Inflatable Slow Leak

Default Inflatable Slow Leak

I'm looking to buy a neighbor's 9ft. West Marine inflatable. But, he hasn't used it in months and has developed a slow leak in one of the tubes.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot a slow leak in an inflatable? Best way to patch it? Materials?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before buying. (As if that's possible.....) Ha............

Get a soapy mix apply with a spray bottle or a brush, guys from the gas company do this to find gas leaks in lines. When you come across the leak it'll start to form a bubble best to do in a shaded area not directly in the sun as it will dry out the mix, work it sections at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by HBAR View Post
    Get a soapy mix apply with a spray bottle or a brush, guys from the gas company do this to find gas leaks in lines. When you come across the leak it'll start to form a bubble best to do in a shaded area not directly in the sun as it will dry out the mix, work it sections at a time.
    Right, but first convince the guy that it's a hopeless case and that you'll take the mess off his hands for what it costs you to drag it to the dump.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll probably pass on this sucker. It seemed like a good deal at first.
    But as mentioned, it will wind-up costing me more in time and aggravation. The winner would be the dump.

hugo c

The air valves are the first place to look. Cheap to replace, just a few bucks. Use the soapy water test to be sure. Depending on where you live, there are a lot of reputable dealers to do repair work. I've always used the Elco Marine in Santa Ana, and have never been disappointed. But there are lots of places with a good reputation.

Go ahead and use it, but make sure u are chewing some gum if u find a leak

Marine goop works great and very easy to use once you locate leak most hard ware stores carrey it

Quote Originally Posted by hugo c View Post
    developed a slow leak in one of the tubes.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot a slow leak in an inflatable? ...........
    What is a slow leak ? 3 hours or a week to get low ?