Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado River "special use" stamp

Default Colorado River "special use" stamp

So I went to Turners yesterday to buy my license. I was told that the Colorado special use tag is no longer sold for out of state use like it was in previous years. I usually fish Arizona and was told that I would have to purchase one from that state beginning in 2014. I looked up Arizona's dfg website and there doesn't appear to be just a stamp I can buy. Looks like I have to buy a yearly license there from now on as well. Out of state licenses are $55 per year. Is this correct?

Anyone have any more info on this?
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 01-01-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    So I went to Turners yesterday to buy my license. I was told that the Colorado special use tag is no longer sold for out of state use like it was in previous years. I usually fish Arizona and was told that I would have to purchase one from that state beginning in 2014. I looked up Arizona's dfg website and there doesn't appear to be just a stamp I can buy. Looks like I have to buy a yearly license there from now on as well. Out of state licenses are $55 per year. Is this correct?

Anyone have any more info on this?
    I never really understood the original Colorado River stamp. One CADFG agent told me that if I was fishing on SHORE, on the Arizona side, that the Colorado River stamp purchased in California would work. THEN, an Arizona Wildlife person approached me that weekend and said that the stamp was only if you were physically on the water that is shared by both California and Arizona, i.e. on a boat. By having one foot dry on the Arizona shoreline, I was now fishing in that state, thus needed a non-resident license.

But, anyway, here's the specific wording on the CADWF's or (whatever it's now called) website:

Discontinued for 2014 - Anglers who possess either a valid California sport fishing license or a valid Arizona sport fishing license can fish from either shore of the portion of the Colorado River that makes up the California-Arizona boundary.
    I see they actually used "shore" in the definition. What happens if you're fishing on a boat in Lake Havasu? You are no longer fishing "from either shore," so what does that mean?

Once again, looks like you'll get 4 different answers, depending on who you speak to. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Thanks darkshadow. As you have stated, I have been getting multiple answer here in Cali. I tried calling Az dfg but nobody picks up. The phone just keeps playing a recording that says all agents are busy. I'll post my findings soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Thanks darkshadow. As you have stated, I have been getting multiple answer here in Cali. I tried calling Az dfg but nobody picks up. The phone just keeps playing a recording that says all agents are busy. I'll post my findings soon I hope.
    The wording from the Arizona regulations are pretty clear:

So, from their perspective, you can either fish from shore OR off a boat with either a California or Arizona license. Cut and dry.

I wonder how long it'll take our state to make their definition as clear as Arizona's?

Awesome... I was just about to call Az dfg on my lunch break. That is pretty clear.

I am a little confused.....
    I am not reading that a CA license grants you the privilege to fish from a boat on Colorado River. You need to purchase an AZ fishing or hunting license for this privilege, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by EL JEFE View Post
    I am not reading that a CA license grants you the privilege to fish from a boat on Colorado River. You need to purchase an AZ fishing or hunting license for this privilege, correct?
    That's the same confusion that exists on our end.

NOW, I'm sure California's law was supposed to have read like Arizona's law, where if you're fishing on shore in Arizona, in a body of water that they share with California, you can use your California license legally. BUT, if you're in a boat, the same principle applies. It's a shame they didn't even realize that the wording would cause so much confusion.

Now, you'd think they'd notice this issue immediately and make some wording changes to also include 'boaters' and not just people fishing from shore. But, it is the understaffed DFW we're talking about here and it'll take 6 months to recognize the confusion.

Your best bet is to actually call CADFW and confirm with them, the license regulations if you're fishing from a boat in shared waters, since the information they give on their website pertains SPECIFICALLY to shore fisherman. Apparently no boaters exist in California that like to fish Havasu.

Quote Originally Posted by EL JEFE View Post
    I agree. The problem is the CA wording is not specific enough to include the on water aspect of the license like the AZ license is. If the multi state stamp has been eliminated, it would make sense that the CA wording should be like the AZ wording but leave it to good ol CA to fubar things up LOL. You can definitely fish both shores with either a CA or AZ license, which is good. You can definitely be on a boat with a AZ license. Since there is no longer a stamp available to be on the water with a CA license, the logical assumption would be that you now can, but why they couldn't word it properly like AZ did to avoid possible confusion is beyond me.

OK I just got off the phone with a friend that is a Bass Pro and guide in Yuma Arizona and asked him for the real deal. A reciprocal agreement between Calif and Ariz to have reciprocity between the two states for fishing on the Colorado river or shoreline of the river is included in each states license (note each state fee went up). Your 2014 California resident license is good for the river and the Arizona shore line. The guide said the Calif license is also good for Martinez and Mitrey lake and any body of water connected to the river (he named other lakes but I did not write them down)..

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    OK I just got off the phone with a friend that is a Bass Pro and guide in Yuma Arizona and asked him for the real deal. A reciprocal agreement between Calif and Ariz to have reciprocity between the two states for fishing on the Colorado river or shoreline of the river is included in each states license (note each state fee went up). Your 2014 California resident license is good for the river and the Arizona shore line. The guide said the Calif license is also good for Martinez and Mitrey lake and any body of water connected to the river (he named other lakes but I did not write them down)..
    Yes that's what one would assume but still the wording done properly, like AZ did, would be the better way to remove all doubt. Yes the logical conclusion is what you and I and others have come to but why couldn't the state word it that way is still beyond me. It reminds me of the 2nd rod stamp many years back had some stupid wording that I now forget and many people got ticketed in the duct using a 2nd rod having the stamp. The next year the wording was changed to include all inland waters instead of the other wording they had before. That was chicken s h i t that wardens gave a bunch of tickets to people that had 2nd rod stamps. My dad was one of them as were some forum members as I recall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast