Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 19lb 12oz Brown out of PVR today 5/7/12 - HOLY COW!!!!

I'm sure Smitty and others are more tuned in to trout stocking/rearing policies than I am, but my impression has been that the propogation of browns and brooks is being de-emphasized while the work on goldens--cutts--and rainbows is being advanced to some extent. Some bit about "native species emphasis" being the latest fashion statement in trout culture. More drivel from the condor cuddlers and fauna fascists, I imagine.

what a monster !

Quote Originally Posted by flytyingreloader View Post
    I'm sure Smitty and others are more tuned in to trout stocking/rearing policies than I am, but my impression has been that the propogation of browns and brooks is being de-emphasized while the work on goldens--cutts--and rainbows is being advanced to some extent. Some bit about "native species emphasis" being the latest fashion statement in trout culture. More drivel from the condor cuddlers and fauna fascists, I imagine.
    Interesting and somewhat confusing statement....where are you going with that?

Not really "going" anyplace with it, sir. I have concerns that Cal-DFG is unduly influenced by such groups as Center For Biological Diversity, an over-reaction to the many lawsuits filed to stop or delay trout planting schedules. Having worked for a government agency that was similarly over-sensitive to such litigational harassment, I would prefer to see DFG do their job in spite of the pressure exerted by these anti-hunting/anti-fishing extremists. The MLPA areas in our oceans do not bode well for the future of sport angling. At my old shop about halfway through my career our leadership finally figured out that no matter how we did business, we got sued anyway--so ya might as well do your job and sort the trash out later. Net effect? We got sued less frequently, and with a LOT less success, by not encouraging suits through timidity. Maybe that last bit is my real thrust here.

In English, I think he means all the tree-huggin hippies are screwing things up in CA and that an agency such as the dfg should just say "f&*k it" and keep planting trout regardless of what lawsuits these a-holes file.

There ya go, BC. CBD is trying to unring a bell that has chimed for nearly a century, and it makes no sense at all. I don't give a rapid rip that brown trout aren't native and weren't here when Columbus showed up--they are here NOW, and I like them. A lot. Leave them and the brookies alone, for cryin' out loud. "Invasive species", mi nalgas.

Quote Originally Posted by flytyingreloader View Post
    Not really "going" anyplace with it, sir. I have concerns that Cal-DFG is unduly influenced by such groups as Center For Biological Diversity, an over-reaction to the many lawsuits filed to stop or delay trout planting schedules. Having worked for a government agency that was similarly over-sensitive to such litigational harassment, I would prefer to see DFG do their job in spite of the pressure exerted by these anti-hunting/anti-fishing extremists. The MLPA areas in our oceans do not bode well for the future of sport angling. At my old shop about halfway through my career our leadership finally figured out that no matter how we did business, we got sued anyway--so ya might as well do your job and sort the trash out later. Net effect? We got sued less frequently, and with a LOT less success, by not encouraging suits through timidity. Maybe that last bit is my real thrust here.
    I couldn't agree more with the above....the current state of enviro wackos directly affecting policy is pretty scary stuff, especially when you consider that there are zero trout native between Big Pine and Bridgeport. It scares the crap out of me because 2/3 of my business is fishing dependent.

I just thought the comment about the DFG not paying enough attention to Browns & Brookies was confusing and for you uncharacteristically ill-informed so I figured I'd ask for an explanation. Brookies are like weeds - too much of a good thing IMO. Browns are used strategically by the DFG to thin out Brookie populations here and stocked consistently in other parts of the state that are better suited for them to flourish (Almanor for instance) but aside from that - do you really think they need help? They're everywhere below 10k on the Eastside. They're also a poor game fish for the majority of people because they're so damn hard to catch. I think management of Cutts Goldens and 'Bows is pretty on point from where I sit...Cutts in Cali are a novelty, Goldens are the state fish and Rainbows are easily produced and easy to catch for most anglers (and good feed for Browns like that hahaha).

I'm pretty sure Tim Alpers raises Browns at Conway Ranch. I don't think they're some kind of endangered species. As for the Golden's, I did not know that there is still a stocking program for them. good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    In English, I think he means all the tree-huggin hippies are screwing things up in CA and that an agency such as the dfg should just say "f&*k it" and keep planting trout regardless of what lawsuits these a-holes file.

Bingo !!! Hit that one on the Head...

No fervent disagreement with your points, Smitty. As originally stated, I'm certain that you and your business community have a much better and more accurate take on the trout habitat situation than I do. A lot of the waters containing brookies show fish that are stunted, so they probably don't need help--not if browns are sent in to trim their numbers back. (That's news!). Browns serve another purpose--to cater to the more masochistic end of the trout fishing fraternity, those that love being ignored enthusiastically by a species far less evolved than we are. :)

I might be over-simplifying the matter, but I've never met a trout I didn't like. All their species are precious to me. Now, the monster out of PVR needs a few upgrades--bondo, re-paint, and a buff-out......but it's still a trout, at the end of the day. Call it a "restoration".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast