Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troutfish

Default Troutfish

Never seen one with this coloration before.

That is an awesome looking fish DS. Nice catch!

Brent

Shallow end of the Gene pool...
    Its a Golden/Brown/Rainbow..
    Stop fishing in the Nuc Plant runoff....... :)

Obviously a walleye/Atlantic salmon hybrid...

I caught one a while back up in the John Muir Wilderness.

Great catch by the way. Is that snow or did your cooler tip over?

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Obviously a walleye/Atlantic salmon hybrid...

I caught one a while back up in the John Muir Wilderness.

Great catch by the way. Is that snow or did your cooler tip over?
    I thought that fish had some squawtrout in him. And yes, that's not snow, that's my cooler tipping over. Gotta keep the Blue Moon and Powerbait™ cold somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I thought that fish had some squawtrout in him. And yes, that's not snow, that's my cooler tipping over. Gotta keep the Blue Moon and Powerbait™ cold somehow.
    Dammit DS, how far north do I have to move to get away from riff-raff like you?

It's only a matter of time now before the boating anglers start complaining about their RIGHT to launch in those creeks....
    Last edited by Lady Quagga; 04-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.

I catch a lot of those brown/gold specimens in SBNF. Certain streams with brown/golden rock bottoms seem to produce them. Probably a camouflage adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Dammit DS, how far north do I have to move to get away from riff-raff like you?
    Alaska. But don't worry, there are still places apparently where yellow snow doesn't greet you along the stream, and empty cans of Coors Light aren't strewn around. You just have to lace up your hiking shoes, or in your case, your high heeled snow boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I catch a lot of those brown/gold specimens in SBNF. Certain streams with brown/golden rock bottoms seem to produce them. Probably a camouflage adaptation.
    You're definitely on point with that. People used to tell me that a rainbow's diet would cause color changes, but that didn't quite make sense as I've caught fish in the same area that were completely different in coloration.

That's a spectacular fish D.S.! Just about every type of trout were planted in the so.cal mountains at one time; so that mix of genes along with local adaptation makes for some interesting wild fish. Gotta love that hybrid vigor.

I have read in a few places that there is a sub-species known as the Kern River Rainbow. It's description appears to fit your troutfish, DS. I agree with teejay - the breadth of the gene pool in trout species makes for very interesting angling.

Fly on, you crazy diamond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast