Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel Newport Harbor Maiden Voyage. Sunday 4/29/12

That's the Exact boat I have had my my eye on!!

To sick!
    Congrats!!
    Sooooo many legals in tha harbor and its spotty heaven!!!!!
    Lucky you..

Good luck to the new adventures!!!!!

I had a blast on Sunday. Didn't realize fishing the harbor was so much fun. That place is so big and we only fish a small fraction of it.
    Thanks for being our guide for the day Art. I learned how to drop shot and fish swim baits for the first time. You were killing those bass. Too funny I kept getting bit and couldn't hook them for the longest time. That baracuda bite was awesome, they are tough fighting fish, love the sound of our drag screaming. Love the boat and like Binh said, I'm looking forward to killing some stripers.

That looks like a ... FISH KILLING MACHINE !!

Congratulations on a great maiden voyage !
    Looks like you guys had a blast.

What a great bday present. And great job breaking it in.
    Happy belated bday.

Nice looking boat !! Thanks for the report n pics !!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hey there Brotha!
    Congratulations on your S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel’s maiden assault trip my friend. I received your text and was very happy for your launch.
    Your vessel was the best looking one on the water! "She is a beauty"!.... Arthur!

By the way....it kinda tore at my heart to see my brotha's; Binh (Badbeat) and Sokha (Troublehook), having to suffer so!
    I hope you guys didn't have to experience too bad of a case of the "salt water surf withdrawals" on this day.....oh... the suffering! ha ha ha!

By all of the pictures.....it's easy to see that everyone had a great time and that a very nice variety pack was landed by all as well!
    It's always a good day when...... "good times can be shared with good friends"!

Hmmmmm... so.....does this mean that there will be more of the larger modeled Hali's in the surf for the rest of us to land....and that there will also be a few more vacancies in the future at a certain unmentionable rock........Sir?

Thanx for the fun read and great pic's my friend!

PS......this inspires me to either run out and buy a p/u truck or just to fish the rock! ha ha ha

Deck Hand.......SP Dan <"))><
    Thanks Dan, trust me, I will spend more time in the surf than on the water. That's why I've never considered, buying a boat, a kayak or a float tube for so long. I enjoy being in the surf. I've done the ocean thing years ago and the surf is more of a challenge.
    You've been hitting the surf hard lately and I'm sure you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dunev View Post
    Woah, that looked like a good time. I am glad you finally got to test your new toy, you have patience, if it was me I would have taken it off the lot straight to the water! Your boat is perfect for the bay, imagine how much gas those "big boy toys" need! For someone who didn't do much fishing you sure did catch a LOT of fish! hahaha. It's good to have friends who are knowledgeable about the bays, I am glad they could point you in the right direction to ensure a successful Maiden Voyage. Thanks for the report and pics, just make sure it doesn't happen too often Otherwise Poseidon will lose a formidable on the sand, and start sending all the nice hali (like Steve's) to the bays.

Great report, and again nice pics.
    Lucas

It's been sitting covered up in the driveway for about 3 weeks, lol. Still need a few things, rod holders, downriggers, in-line batteries, etc. We actually did more fishing than I expected and I'm glad that we did.

No worries Lucas, like I tell everybody, my heart belongs on the sand...

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Awesome job out there brotha!
    I knew you guys would kill it in the harbor. As always the Newport Feeeesh Nursery didn't let you guys down. The Mako looks sick Arthur....Does it have an option for some kind of cover/sunshade. I don't want your face to crack in the future like mine....LOL I don't know about hooping on that ride though....Does that boat have a foam filled hull like a boston whaler? It looks like it would get swamped by a surprise swell pretty easy but it definitely would be a striper killer at DVL,Pyramid or Castaic though. I'm jealous but hey... I also like being a nomadic surf warrior!
    Every time you fish NPH you get so fried bro. Between the water and boat deck it's like being at a tanning salon all day long
    Those slime sticks must have been fun but snotty.....They are number two on my list of fish I'd rather not handle. Number one is a damn batray of course. They both just slime you to death
    You guys should have attacked Joe's Crab Shack..... That place is expensive but what a meal. Of course I've only eaten there once in Redondo but you know that...You paid for it....LOL
    I'm glad your maiden voyage went just as planned bro....Now get back out there on the sand this weekend. The WSB are on the chew!
    Yeah Mike, I'm looking into a bimini top option. There's a couple of companies that make it. Definitely a must for those hot summer days.
    The boat is amazingly stable. But it won't be an island run boat, just something to fish the local water.
    You're right, those Barracudas are slimmy as hell.
    You've been killing the WSB for the past few days in the surf. Congrats on the legal Ghost and I'm looking forward to seeing that report.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    My first comment in days and of course you had to get out and slay different types of fish. The Cuda's were a cool surprise I bet.

Nice ride and having the crew with ya makes it all worth while.
    Congratulations everyone for catching and breaking in the boat the right way.

Thanks for sharing the trip in photos, I was wondering about it a little this weekend. Truth be told, it never crossed my mine THIS WEEKEND My trip, I can't really post the pic's. I Don't want to get Banned

WWO

Very nice SWAT Assault Vessel Arthur. Give the little lady and the dogs a big Hug.
    The Barracuda was definitely a nice surprise. Fast & furious action there for awhile, they are quite ferocious.
    I'm glad you had a fun weekend Bill, thanks for the private pics... i won't tell, lol

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    Arthur, that is one beautiful boat My Friend!

Just one question though, Emilie and I were at the Crab Cooker just about that time why didn't you pick us up?

It only took you two tries to get it back on the trailer? That's pretty darn good if you ask me. My maiden voyage could have made the funniest videos section for sure. Note to self..........check the position of the motors before powering up on to the trailer.

Great job out there guys and I've got to say to binh and Sokha..........you guys got a great deal!

Thanks Terry, it was nice hanging around in your neck of the woods for the day. Next time, I'll call ya and we can meet down at the harbor for lunch or something.
    Yeah, it took me a couple of times to line up the boat correctly. But the real comedy was watching me backing up the trailer for the first time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bloox8 View Post
    Nice boat !!! and cudos for the cudas!!! I predict that you will have many awesome memories on your new baby!!

...Instead of that dream house, you should get a yacht and take all of us FNN members on a fishing adventure !!!

"Didn’t plan on doing a lot of fishing.".... Just planned on catching a lot of fish huh?

Thanks for the report! Always looking forward for SWATs next posts =)

Thien
    A yacth would be the ultimate S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel Thien. We can travel the Seven Seas in search of every gamefish known to Man.
    I really didn't plan on fishing that much, but it worked out... not complaining, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Mannn!!!
    I had to darken my screen, that boat is so white...
    Looks like a great maiden voyage was had by all 3 of you. I knew once you got it in the harbor that the fish would have no chance...
    You are a Blessed individual Arthur and I always Pray for the best for you and yours!
    Great 1st boat report!
    Robert,
    <><
    The Makos only come in white Roberto, it is kinda bright, lol
    Thanks my friend and the prayers are reciprocated.

You've been busy lately, which is a good thing, but we miss your reports! Hope you can find some time to hit the surf, waders or not!

Quote Originally Posted by FishNFurious View Post
    Sick ride Art, Phuong was telling about that Mako boat. I looked it up, you get alot for the money that's for sure.
    Needless to say the Iron Chef is a great GF and a definite keeper!
    Man, I haven't fished with you since the last time we fished for Stripers on Bob's boat. let do it again soon.

Vincent
    The Mako is a really good value, you do get a lot for the price.
    Yeah, I agree that the Iron Chef is a certainly a keeper.
    Whenever you and Phuong can make the time, we should all head out together.

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Arthur,

Glad to see the maiden voyage went well for you! That is a sweet assualt vessel.

Looks like the fish cooperated as well. You even managed to get a new species that I never put you onto on our numerous trips of the past!

It has been a long dry spell for the "Spotted Fever" of just under 11 months and the last time I fished my favorite harbor. I miss the place so thanks for giving me some pics and memories!

Hope to fish with you soon!

Steve

Steve, thanks again for everything you have taught me over the years. I still remember that very first trip with you and your son a few years back when I got spooled in about 10 seconds by a mystery fish. I caught my first Spottie on that trip and loved the harbor ever since. The "Battle of the Bay" will be a fun match between the Masters and the Student. Hope we can align our schedules to fish together soon my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    Has to be the greatest gift ever, well next to the dream house, when you gonna take it out to catalina? You know what people can do in small boats

http://m.youtube.com/?tsp=1&rdm=8530...?v=_pjaE-3UufY

Just an idea.
    Don't think that this will be a Catalina boat, mostly lakes and local waters. I could have chosen a bigger boat, but decided to keep it simple as I won't be using it much. maybe someday, when I can back off my work schedule a bit, I may consider a bigger boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Wow, nice boat. How many feet and hp ?
    DR
    17' Mercury 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    Damn nice boat Arthur! Are you going to give the fish in the surf a break now? :smile: I've been plagued with car issues in the month and a half and now I'm working 6 days a week for the 3 weeks :sad: Do you plan on taking it out on the open ocean? Pv kelp or DP? I know your going to get some big fish on that boat Arthur.

Anthony
    Nah, the surf will always have the first priority Anthony.
    Absolutely, local kelp beds and local waters are part of the attack plans.
    Bummer about the car issues, I hope you get it resolved soon and try to find some time in your busy schedule to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Cool! Think you can get that thing into the surf to get at the perch?

How common is it to find barracuda in NPH?
    Hey Tim, we can troll the surf for Perch, lol
    I think Barracuda is pretty common in the harbors, but I've never caught any until now.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Nice healthy spotties. They may not get as big as sandies, but pound for pound, they are stronger IMO.

Good to see the Cudas on the prowl, i'm gonna swing by tomorrow. Too bad they're all sub-legal =\ Kinda like fighting a giant jacksmelt.

how far did you guys go? I recognize alot of your spots. Dunno why the lack of baybass posts lately, they're nice and active now.
    I agree, Spotties fights better than Sandies.
    Yeah, I was thinking... all these Barracudas and not a single legal one. They were in the channel by the public dock at the end of 19th street. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Congrats on your new fishing platform . Sweet boat .
    Thanks Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Got some stink on the boat, used the boat, and it looks like an awesome time was had. Great report Wingnut.
    Thanks man, we did a good job breaking it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesserz View Post
    How fun!! Looks like you all had a great first trip on your sweet new boat.
    I hope one day I can buy one of those babies for Jason... that's exactly the type of boat he wants for the harbor.
    Wow, we've never caught any barracuda... haven't been to the harbor in a while but maybe we could try to find them next time.
    So.. does this mean there will be another contender in the next Battle of the Bay???
    I'm sure Jason is waiting for the day that you put one of these boats in the driveway Tess.
    Battle of the Bay will be a blast... Students vs the Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLest View Post
    Im back!

Good to see you expanding the arsenal Arthur. That thing is a beauty!
    The Iron Chef came through bigtime with that gift. Your a lucky one bro.
    Dont get too comfortable with it though, we need the commander next to us out in the trenches
    See you soon!
    I'm not abandoning the surf bro, far from it. Just broadening my horizon a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Very nice ride there sir. Nice and white and clean...time to go bloody it up! Gotta love new toys. Hope it brings you as much luck as you've had in the surf, if not more. Be safe out there...

Don
    Thanks Don, we did bloody it up a bit with Barracuda blood, but I guarantee you, a lot more will be spilled.

Quote Originally Posted by sidified View Post
    Way to go, Arthur! What a fly ride!..... And so white! ....I still have retinal flares from looking at the pics...
    How about letting Chris break it in for a few weeks?!... Let him slather on his non-removable, chum-spewing, soul sauce..mm..mm. It's not a fishing boat if we don't smell ya coming :)
    Congrats,
    Sid
    Hahaha, yeah, it's a bit bright...
    Oh man, once Trolly steps on a boat, it will NEVER be (smell) the same.
    I remember one time I was fishing on Bob's (TroutOnly) boat at Castaic and Chris pulled up next to us. I hopped out of Bob's boat and over to Chris's boat. OMG, I almost gagged and jumped right back out. He had week old Mackerel strewn all over the place and it the smell was so wicked. The funny thing is, when we asked him WTF?!? He replied, "What smell, i don't smell anyting...?"

Quote Originally Posted by fishshep View Post
    NIIIICCCEEE !!!! Center Counsel too !

Wishing you many happy,productive days with it

I know what you mean about your heart being on the sand though !

Took my 14ft.er out only twice in two years !
    Thanks Daniel, center console is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhatster View Post
    Sweet boat, when are ya gonna give a brother a ride?
    You are one lucky SOB. We expect to see you bringing home plenty of fish.
    You can have a ride any time bro, but you haven't touch a fishing rod in what... 6 years? lol
    Yes, there will not be a shortage of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by frankjz View Post
    That was a great journey to the harbor and back. I didn't get the reference to the Iron Chef for that beautiful boat!? If that truly was a gift, congrats! I dig the look of those cudda's. Serious fish. Thanks for that extra halibut photo. Super cool!
    The Iron Chef is my better half Frank.
    I hope you've been pounding the sand, I see a legal Halibut in the near future for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Arthur,

What a way to break in your new boat! I kind of feel bad for the fish now that you have it since this means you'll be able to reach the flatties wherever they hide, and not to mention other species once you start hitting up some new AOs with that. Maybe some fresh lobster tails to go with the halibut when the season calls for it. Glad to see Binh and Sokha getting in on the harbor action too!

BTW, You think you could tow some float tubes behind that?

Look forward to fishing with ya soon,

Marc
    Yeah, the boat will give me another option when surf conditions are poor. can always retreat to the lakes or harbors. Would love to learn how to hoop for Lobsters next season.
    Give me a call... I know where you can catch your first WSB, the time is right now... I know where they're running in the surf!

Quote Originally Posted by HESBROS View Post
    Wow, did not expect to see that kind of report from Arthur....Tho I had heard of his gift. Great to see you take the maiden voyage and have success at catching, cannot beat that! As Tess pointed out, looks like we will have a third boat team in the "Battle of the Bay", which we need to get planning, soon, before Steve and I are into our work season. Nice ride Arthur, let me know if you need anything for it! Hope to see and fish with you soon!
    Thanks Eddie, like I said, I learned a lot from fishing with you & Steve over the years.
    Yes, let's plan the next Battle of the Bay soon! My harbor rookies team will be called "The Asian Persuasion" Crew.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    CONGRATS ON GETTING YOURE BOAT ARTHUR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,
    Thanks Bob, I will put everything you have taught me about trolling and killing Stripers to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Your one lucky man bro, You deserve all that comes to you... BTW : What kind of nett is that? Looks sweet
    Thanks Rob, I appreciate that very much.
    The net is made by EGO. Great net, lightweight, it floats, rubber mesh, retractable handle and strong. Didn't even use it once on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeat View Post
    Thanks Art, that was the first time Sokha and I have ever fished the harbor and it was so much fun.
    Thank you for showing us how to drop shot. It's definitely take some finesse, once I got the twitching movement down, I started getting bit.
    We caught so many Halibut and too bad none of them were legal. That Barracuda bite was insane, we were nailing them on just about every cast and losing them just as fast, lol
    That is one sweet boat and I can't wait to take it out to DVL, Pyramid and Castaic to slay some Stripers.
    See you soon bro.

Binh
    There's really nothing to drop shotting, just getting the right motion to transmit the action from the rod tip down to the bait correctly. You were doing very well after a little practice. That was a lot of fun, the barracuda bite was sick. Thanks for joining me on Sunday bro and you can take it out to the lake to slay Stripers anytime you want.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    That's an easy deal for us to accept Arthur, you are a generous man.
    Lynn is definitely a keeper my friend, all I heard from Lauren since the first day I got my boat is, "When are you going to sell it???"
    Knowing you, the boys will be taking it out more often than you will. I know that your love for the beach won't ever change no matter how many toys you get. I heard that you could have gotten a much bigger boat but wanted to keep it simple.
    Hope to hit the water with you and the rest of the boys sometime soon buddy.
    Hey Phuong, anything for my brothers.
    You're right bro, my feet will definitely be on the sand more than on the deck of that boat.
    Yeah, Lynn said that I could get a bigger boat, but I didn't feel the need for it right now. I can always trade up later right?

Quote Originally Posted by lip rippin sob View Post
    That's the Exact boat I have had my my eye on!!

To sick!
    Congrats!!
    Sooooo many legals in tha harbor and its spotty heaven!!!!!
    Lucky you..

Good luck to the new adventures!!!!!
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by troublehook View Post
    I had a blast on Sunday. Didn't realize fishing the harbor was so much fun. That place is so big and we only fish a small fraction of it.
    Thanks for being our guide for the day Art. I learned how to drop shot and fish swim baits for the first time. You were killing those bass. Too funny I kept getting bit and couldn't hook them for the longest time. That baracuda bite was awesome, they are tough fighting fish, love the sound of our drag screaming. Love the boat and like Binh said, I'm looking forward to killing some stripers.
    Yeah Sokha, the NPH is huge, we only fished a small part of it.
    We caught a lot of fish, but too bad nothing really worthwhile. But the Barracuda bite was the highlight of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfishsmell View Post
    That looks like a ... FISH KILLING MACHINE !!

Congratulations on a great maiden voyage !
    Looks like you guys had a blast.
    Thanks buddy, it was definitely a fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by midgettosser1 View Post
    What a great bday present. And great job breaking it in.
    Happy belated bday.
    Thanks Mike, hope you've been getting out there bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitts0n View Post
    Nice looking boat !! Thanks for the report n pics !!
    Thanks Armando, nice bash you guys put together at the Vine last weekend. Team 57 forever!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 05-02-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Adding replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post

Thanks Mike, hope you've been getting out there bro.
    Haven't been out locally for a while... but check the out of state reports....

Nice boat!! I'm happy to see you were able to catch all those fish on your first spin. I've always wanted to own a boat someday, but at the moment i'm really loving fishing from the surf. Plus, its perfect for poor college students like me I look forward to seeing what you'll be reeling up from that thing in the future!

-Daniel

SWEEEET RIIDE! That's the exact style of boat that I want someday. Looked like a successful first voyage for your new toy.

LOL "The Asian Persuasion" that's good one! But how about "Team Dominasian"? LOL

WOW! Beautiful rig,and stellar pictures,can't wait to see future reports and pics,with that set up you'll be slayin,also great to hear the Barries are starting to pop.
    Thanks for sharing. Congratulations!

Cya Tuna Vic

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast