Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel Newport Harbor Maiden Voyage. Sunday 4/29/12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel Newport Harbor Maiden Voyage. Sunday 4/29/12

Finally got a chance to take the birthday gift from the Iron Chef out for a spin. Didn’t plan on doing a lot of fishing. Just to break in the motor, dial in the fish finder, familiarizing myself with the launch procedures and getting used to all the basic functions of the boat.

Since the Prius can’t tow a bathtub and I didn’t really want to get a tow kit for the G-Wagon, I made my buddies Phuong (Blackwater), Binh (Badbeat) and Sokha (Troublehook), who own trucks, a deal they can’t refuse. Let me borrow their trucks whenever I feel like taking it out on the water and they can use it anytime they want. They happily obliged, lol.

I have to take a moment to thank a couple of people. To the Harbor Masters, Steve (Flyngby) and Eddie (Hesbros). I have learned so much from years of fishing the harbors with these two guys. They pretty much taught me everything I know about harbors & bay fishing. How, when and where to launch and the best areas to fish from a boat. Steve & Eddie, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me over the years. You guys are the BEST! I want to also thank The Fishing Yoda Mikey (Exfactor), who also have taught me much from his own assault vessel and even took my call late last night to give me a rundown on how to flush out the engine, lol.

To my Brothers from different Mothers, Binh & Sokha. Thank you for joining me on the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel’s maiden trip. We’re going to have a blast and make many great memories!

Session recap – The fishing was quite good with a variety of species for the taking. We were dropshotting Gulp 5” Jerkshads and 4” Minnows, throwing 3-4” swimbaits and LCs. Lots of Spotted Bass, a few Sand Bass and a couple of Calicos in the mix. Between the three of us from 7:00am to about 4:00pm, we caught about 30+ Bass, a dozen Halibut, a couple of Lizard Fish and a wide open Barracuda bite towards the end of the session. The Barracudas were going to town on a baitfish school in one corner of the harbor and we picked off at least 25-30 of them in about ½ an hour throwing the FM110 and SP100 LCs. All the fish were on the small size, most of the Bass were between 8-12” and only a couple hit the 13-14” mark. All the Halibut were short. The biggest Halibut was about 19-20”. The Barracudas were between 18 and 26”. All fish released!

It was a fun day spent with a couple of good friends. Life is good! Like I always say, “Everyday above ground is a good day.”

To my S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters, don’t worry… having a boat is nice, but my heart will always belong on the sand. Just another option on those big swelly days.

Hope everybody had a nice and relaxing weekend.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"Speak the Truth, even if your voice shakes."

Here are some pics of our fun day.
    Didn’t take a lot of fish pics, nothing really worthwhile.

Climb aboard boyz!

Sokha is taping up his thumb. Hey Sokha, somebody once told me that thumb tape are for sissies... hand me the roll when you're done.

Enjoying the smooth ride.

My dream house.

First catch on board the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel.

First Halibut of the day… pancake.

Binh’s biggest Halibut.

Sokha’s first Sand Bass.

My biggest Spottie of the day.

Pancakes everywhere.

Stepping out for a break.

Lunch time!

What is this?!?

We were talking about going here for dinner.

Big boys’ toys…

Non-stop Barracuda action.

Barracuda killer!

Back to the launch ramp, tired and sunburnt.

Only took me two tries to get it on the trailer correctly, lol.

Bonus Pic.
    My friend Steve (E-Cat) with a big Hali caught on his boat.

Parting shot.
    Newest member of the S.W.A.T. Kennel Club.

Last edited by Wingnut; 04-30-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

Hey there Brotha!

Congratulations on your S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel’s maiden assault trip my friend. I received your text and was very happy for your launch.
    Your vessel was the best looking one on the water! "She is a beauty"!.... Arthur!

By the way....it kinda tore at my heart to see my brotha's; Binh (Badbeat) and Sokha (Troublehook), having to suffer so!
    I hope you guys didn't have to experience too bad of a case of the "salt water surf withdrawals" on this day.....oh... the suffering! ha ha ha!

By all of the pictures.....it's easy to see that everyone had a great time and that a very nice variety pack was landed by all as well!
    It's always a good day when...... "good times can be shared with good friends"!

Hmmmmm... so.....does this mean that there will be more of the larger modeled Hali's in the surf for the rest of us to land....and that there will also be a few more vacancies in the future at a certain unmentionable rock........Sir?

Thanx for the fun read and great pic's my friend!

PS......this inspires me to either run out and buy a p/u truck or just to fish the rock! ha ha ha

Deck Hand.......SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 04-30-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Woah, that looked like a good time. I am glad you finally got to test your new toy, you have patience, if it was me I would have taken it off the lot straight to the water! Your boat is perfect for the bay, imagine how much gas those "big boy toys" need! For someone who didn't do much fishing you sure did catch a LOT of fish! hahaha. It's good to have friends who are knowledgeable about the bays, I am glad they could point you in the right direction to ensure a successful Maiden Voyage. Thanks for the report and pics, just make sure it doesn't happen too often Otherwise Poseidon will lose a formidable on the sand, and start sending all the nice hali (like Steve's) to the bays.

Great report, and again nice pics.
    Lucas

Awesome job out there brotha!
    I knew you guys would kill it in the harbor. As always the Newport Feeeesh Nursery didn't let you guys down. The Mako looks sick Arthur....Does it have an option for some kind of cover/sunshade. I don't want your face to crack in the future like mine....LOL I don't know about hooping on that ride though....Does that boat have a foam filled hull like a boston whaler? It looks like it would get swamped by a surprise swell pretty easy but it definately would be a striper killer at DVL,Pyramid or Castaic though. I'm jealous but hey... I also like being a nomadic surf warrior!
    Every time you fish NPH you get so fried bro. Between the water and boat deck it's like being at a tanning salon all day long
    Those slime sticks must have been fun but snotty.....They are number two on my list of fish I'd rather not handle. Number one is a damn batray of course. They both just slime you to death
    You guys should have attacked Joe's Crab Shack..... That place is expensive but what a meal. Of course I've only eaten there once in Redondo but you know that...You paid for it....LOL
    I'm glad your maiden voyage went just as planned bro....Now get back out there on the sand this weekend. The WSB are on the chew!
    Last edited by bones; 05-01-2012 at 12:53 PM.

My first comment in days and of course you had to get out and slay different types of fish. The Cuda's were a cool surprise I bet.

Nice ride and having the crew with ya makes it all worth while.
    Congratulations everyone for catching and breaking in the boat the right way.

Thanks for sharing the trip in photos, I was wondering about it a little this weekend. Truth be told, it never crossed my mine THIS WEEKEND My trip, I can't really post the pic's. I Don't want to get Banned

WWO

Very nice SWAT Assault Vessel Arthur. Give the little lady and the dogs a big Hug.
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 04-30-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Arthur, that is one beautiful boat My Friend!

Just one question though, Emilie and I were at the Crab Cooker just about that time why didn't you pick us up?

It only took you two tries to get it back on the trailer? That's pretty darn good if you ask me. My maiden voyage could have made the funniest videos section for sure. Note to self..........check the position of the motors before powering up on to the trailer.

Great job out there guys and I've got to say to binh and Sokha..........you guys got a great deal!

Nice boat !!! and cudos for the cudas!!! I predict that you will have many awesome memories on your new baby!!

...Instead of that dream house, you should get a yacht and take all of us FNN members on a fishing adventure !!!

"Didn’t plan on doing a lot of fishing.".... Just planned on catching a lot of fish huh?

Thanks for the report! Always looking forward for SWATs next posts =)

Thien

Sick ride Art, Phuong was telling about that Mako boat. I looked it up, you get alot for the money that's for sure.
    Needless to say the Iron Chef is a great GF and a definite keeper!
    Man, I haven't fished with you since the last time we fished for Stripers on Bob's boat. let do it again soon.

Vincent

Arthur,

Glad to see the maiden voyage went well for you! That is a sweet assualt vessel.

Looks like the fish cooperated as well. You even managed to get a new species that I never put you onto on our numerous trips of the past!

It has been a long dry spell for the "Spotted Fever" of just under 11 months and the last time I fished my favorite harbor. I miss the place so thanks for giving me some pics and memories!

Hope to fish with you soon!

Steve

Last edited by webmaster; 08-08-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: deleted malicious smilie

Mannn!!!
    I had to darken my screen, that boat is so white...
    Looks like a great maiden voyage was had by all 3 of you. I knew once you got it in the harbor that the fish would have no chance...
    You are a Blessed individual Arthur and I always Pray for the best for you and yours!
    Great 1st boat report!
    Robert,
    <><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast