Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for lightest 8ft. trout rod

finally pulled the trigger. ordered the phenix elixer 2pc. 8'-6" for $219 out the door from outkast tackle. will be matching it w/ a shimano stradic ci4 1000f for $172 from ebay.

Eagle Claw trout rod or Berkley power-bait rod from Turners

Be careful with the Elixer, they are fragile. I have had two over the years and they both broke. Last one I had a 2lb Sierra Bow broke the tip off
    I switched over to G-Loomis GL-2 and glad I did, BETTER(and lighter) rod IMO. They only go up to 7"6" tho.

quick question, has anyone ever used 4-6lb braided line like berkley nanofil or powerpro slick8. my concern is the guides on the phenix rods, are they rated for braid?

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    quick question, has anyone ever used 4-6lb braided line like berkley nanofil or powerpro slick8. my concern is the guides on the phenix rods, are they rated for braid?
    I have nano fill on my reels. It's thin like thread, and is pretty strong. Using 4 lb...
    Last edited by Karyn; 06-10-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Elixirs have Alp SF S-6, it's good to fish with braid.

I have three of the Shimano Compres for trout fishing and they are awesome rods. I have the 8' and 8.5'. They prices are great on these rods too.

I'm using okuma SST trout rods (IM-8) with shimano Sahara 1000 reels.

Pretty awesome setup on a budget...

has anyone tried this troutmagnet rod "Trinity Series SLS-108"

here is the link= https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/tr...108-p-154.html

For lightest, you'd have to go custom. I prefer 7' and my family fish with 7' rods at 1.4 oz for all of them. For 8' with the same build, it would jump up to about 1.7 oz. I don't think any commercially available 8' rods, even up to $500 would weigh under 3 oz. So your best bet is have someone build one - or build one yourself.

UL

Looking for lightest 8ft. trout rod but with in the light-medium to medium power. All suggestions welcomed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast