Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube report 4/20 and 4/22 (new PB).

Default Tube report 4/20 and 4/22 (new PB).

4/20 Your standard great day of fishing at Irvine lake. Got there 5:15am. Fishing solo today since none of my brothers could make it out. I love having every other Friday off. Launched from the Flats ramp and kicked around a bit for nothing. Went over to west shore and it opened up. The water's surface temp was 66. Found a little pot of honey with help from some boaters that were out there. Landed 4 by 9:30. Over the next 4 1/2 hrs I ended up farming 6 fish trying to get my limit -.-. Finally just about 2pm I hook the last fish off of trout island and was out. Using my typical tackle, pink shad, chartreuses/green, orange/yellow power worms dipped in bite on garlic/roe had takers each.

4/22 A day I won't soon forget. My brother cancelled on me at the last minute, when I was asleep, via text message... Got up in the morning saw the text message and said eff it I am up and ready to go. Irvine here I come! Got to the lake pretty late in the morning. Pulled in line just before 6am. Launched from boat dock. I haven't launched from there since I got my fish finder so I wanted to scope it out. Kicked over to the little hole from Friday off the west shore. Very little metered fish. Set up for a bit, nothing, no bites, no metered fish. I thought ok.... where did they go, they were at 40-45' of water on Friday... I know they weren't shallow. Saw very little action in the 30' range. I decided I was going to go on an adventure to deeper waters. Kicking along the west shore heading for the dam area. Hooked up into a little dink around 50' of water. I was kicking around the middle lake in about 60' of water metering all kinds of schooled fish. They weren't interested in what I had. This was my first time ever visiting this part of the lake and I was excited to see what it held. My brother always likes to convince me that kicking out that far was pointless. He couldn't be more wrong. The story that follows, is the story of a fish that bit at 55' deep.

Sitting in the middle of the lake at just about 10am. No action except for the dink. My mind starts wandering. Next thing I realize I hear the unmistakable sound we all know and love. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Grab my pole, set the hook, and it's on. For what seems like forever I am hearing the bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from the initial bite. Finally the fish lets up. I start cranking away. Then he bee lines directly toward me. I start cranking as fast as I can to keep up with him. Just when I catch up, Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz he dives deep. Proceed to pull him up, bzzzz out he goes... At this point the adrenaline kicks into over drive. I have yet to see the fish. Then it happens, I see the boil from the fish. I start talking to myself out loud... (I must have sounded insane, thankfully no one was around to hear it lol). I have yet to see color, start going through the check list of what not to do. A few more runs and I get him below my tube. He wasn't done yet. It's time to do circles. Round and round I go, 3 full circles. Then it happens, the fish tries to run and it can barely pull line. I start reeling him in now. One half circle in my tube later I finally see my first glimpse of color. Adrenaline shot #2 right into the veins. I few more cranks he goes belly up. Only one last thing to do, DON'T EFF UP THE NET JOB. Head first it goes in. The battle is over. The fish has lost. A new personal best for me.

7lbs 4oz.

Shakespeare Graphite Lite Rod: $17 on debit master card.
    Okuma Avenger 15a: $20 on debit master card.
    Izor XXX 2lb 1/4lb spool: $17 on debit master card.
    Pro Pack Size 8 Owner Mosquito hooks: $12 on debit master card.
    10 Pack 3/8oz Dropshot Weights: $5 on debit master card.
    Green/Chartreuse Powerbait 3" Trout worm pack: $5 on debit master card.
    Bite ON Garlic: $6 on debit master card.

A fishing story and memory I won't soon forget: Priceless

Called it a day after that. I was just as exhausted as the fish.

Thank you Irvine Lake for giving me the opportunity to catch this amazing fish. Also, thank you to everyone on FNN who has helped me learn how to fish. With the fast approaching end of my first trout season I couldn't be more pleased. Seriously if you have ever responded to one of my posts, or pms, thank you.
    Last edited by fishfnatic; 04-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Wow great story. I have yet to take my tube out at Irvine, but I also was told stay shallow so now I know that they may also be in deep. How was the current / wind? Only thing i'm worried about is getting out too far and getting blow across the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Wow great story. I have yet to take my tube out at Irvine, but I also was told stay shallow so now I know that they may also be in deep. How was the current / wind? Only thing i'm worried about is getting out too far and getting blow across the lake.
    I usually work shallower water but I just couldn't find any action so I had to move on. You would think it was the 4th of July watching my meter in the deep waters. The current wasn't to bad and there was a slight breeze with weak gusts (5mph?). The current and wind were definitely blowing toward the dam so it took an extraordinary amount of time to get back to boat dock cove, around 45min to 1 hour. I also have the free fins that came with my Creek ODC 420 combo though so I am sure with better fins it wouldn't be that extreme. If the wind was any stronger like it was in the winter I wouldn't do what I did. It can get really gnarly really quickly there.

Nice job on the fatty bow. It is always good to investigate areas of the lake that you are unfamiliar with. You just never know what you might land. Next up your first DD trout! Thanks for the report.

Way to go bro! Im stoked for you. as I was reading it my heart was racing too.. Sucks youre off every other friday.. I was planning on hitting up the vine this friday.. HMU if ever want to tube the vine.. Congrats on your PB.. well deserved..

*shakaa**

Nice story indeed. Felt like I was right there with you. I appreciate all the detail in your approach towards fishing the lake, it helps me learn as well. One question if you don't mind, I was trying to imagine how you were rigging up. Were you drifting your power worms using a palomar knot & hook to main line with a dropshot weight tied to the tag end? Thanks.

^^ thats how I rig my power worm drop shot.. 12-20" tag end sometimes depending on depth Im targeting.

*shakka*

Quote Originally Posted by FKNChristopH View Post
    ^^ thats how I rig my power worm drop shot.. 12-20" tag end sometimes depending on depth Im targeting.

*shakka*
    Hey, thanks! Now do you jig it or let the weight drag on the bottom while drifting?

great post buddy, very nice fish for sure
    keep up the good work

thats a great report and congrats on a great fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast