Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Big Perris redear wide open

Default Big Perris redear wide open

Well, I quess it's that time of year that the big redear have moved up. Fish are tight to the weed lines. Dad and I caught 2 limits last sunday and today I had my limit by 10:30. Mostly redear, but did catch some big green sunfish. The redear bite should last about a month, then the big florida strain bluegill will get going. Last Sunday was a bit slower. The redear have not shown up at some of my open water structure spots so it may be a bit early.

2lb pline, Open dropper loop, 6" tag to hook, 1/8 oz weight 12" below dropper loop knot and redworms
    Iv'e been using the trout worms (larger species of redworm, Eisenia hortensis) they're so much easier to bait.

Tried a couple of areas, twin palms (bernasconi), sw island, structure spots. SE Island being most productive.

Work parallel to the weedline, most fish caught within 5 ft of weedline.

Tight lines

Tuna out

awsome job out there. i might head out tomorrow and try for some. were you fishing from shore or tube/boat?

Thanks for the info, heading out tomorrow, Sunday, on the tube.

How's the water temperature? Did you need your waders?

TWO LIMITS!! NICE!! Thanks for the report....I hope I can get to Perris soon......If only I didn't have to work

Fished from a boat, I'd never make it to all the spots with a tube.

Fish slow, A lot of time time redear will just stare at the bait and will not eat it until it moves. I have been usiing pole holders. After the bait settles, i move it, about a foot by winding and lifting the rod tip slightly. remove the slack, tighten slowly but leave a little belly in the line. Fish will hit the bait hard right after you move the bait. the bait will need to settle, a minute or two, work all the way back to the boat.

There were a couple of guys fishing around me, they couldn't figure out the bite. I was wearing my FNN T-shirt and overheard them saying. "No wonder he's catching all the fish, that's one of the FNN guys, they always catch fish" Had to laugh.

I met a guy on Last sunday that recognized me from the Bluegill tips post, we talked about panfishing, rig, areas, water temps etc. He was in a nice bass boat not sure if he was bass fishing or panfishing.

IMHO its better to fish from an achored position, rather than drifting. keep in mind that these fish are schooling now. Find the school and keep casting to the same spot. Its hard to do that if you're costantly moving around.
    Last Sunday we fished from the outside toward shore, which probably the reason why it took so long to get our limits. Bait was only in the zone for a couple of feet. Saturday, I fished from the weedline, worked the bait parallel to the weedline. Bait stayed in the zone the whole time. Would have been off the water by 8:30 if I didn't check out the other spots.

I went out today, Sunday, out of Bernasconi. I kicked down to the reef and caught 11 on the way trolling in my tube. It started getting choppy, sea doos, so I headed back and ended up with 14 caught and 2 spit the hook at the tube. All are caught on super dupers and snap beans. I am going back to the east end, too many boats and scooby doos out of Bernasconi. The buoys are still missing. An accident waiting to happen with out them.