Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Admendment Law Change

we should all just overrun the government

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    See what you did?

Now you'll get your phone lines wire tapped, and your bank account investigated because you said the "M" word.

God Bless the Patriot Act.
    Well you shouldn't have any problems with it right?
    Unless of course, you really are hiding something!
    Like all the locations to those nice plump trouts you just got.
    I know the patriot act can't protect those fish for long!
    All those red white and blue fins.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Without getting too much into the weeds, most crimes require the government to prove a certain state of mind. Under the original language of the law, you had to act "willfully and knowingly" when committing the crime. In short, you had to know your conduct was illegal. Under H.R. 347, you will simply need to act "knowingly," which here would mean that you know you're in a restricted area, but not necessarily that you're committing a crime.

Any time the government lowers the intent requirement, it makes it easier for a prosecutor to prove her case, and it gives law enforcement more discretion when enforcing the law. To be sure, this is of concern to the ACLU. We will monitor the implementation of H.R. 347 for any abuse or misuse.
    While I applaud Mr. Rottman and the ACLU for bringing this bill to our attention, I can't say I agree with the implications he foresees.

I am no legal expert, I believe the intent requirement would relate to individuals who set out to protest with the intent of committing a crime. (Or to put it simply, "Let's go cause some trouble!") But what if you are protesting peacefully, and a situation occurs in which the Secret Service must relocate a demonstration in order to facilitate their security procedures? If the demonstrators were to resist, they could not be charged under this law because their initial act of protesting had no unlawful intent. Could this law be misused? Possibly. Will it? Doubtful.

"To be sure, this is of concern to the ACLU. We will monitor the implementation of H.R. 347 for any abuse or misuse." This course of action, playing the watchdog (and I do not mean that disparagingly) is the best course of action.

Posting on FNN with overtones of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM is not.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    99 percent of your posts are idiotic, but this one really takes it to a new level
    Why, thank you for complimenting 279.6 of my posts! But to be honest, if I have seen farther it is only because I stand on the shoulders of giants.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Why, thank you for complimenting 279.6 of my posts! But to be honest, if I have seen farther it is only because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
    It's 279.7. Get your math right.

And shoulders of Giants?

Told you that you were a Giants fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    It's 279.7. Get your math right.

And shoulders of Giants?

Told you that you were a Giants fan.
    Dude, would you stop treating this dignified forum like it's a junior high study hall? There are thoughts being expressed here! Also, are you coming to the meeting tonight? (Because it's your turn to bring the torches and eight-layer dip.)

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    99 percent of your posts are idiotic, but this one really takes it to a new level

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    Yah OK
    Let us know how it turns out.
    DR

Is that all the cops have is teargas and bottleneck bridges?
    Meh we can take'em.

I thought they had guns and knives and kevlar and handcuffs with 20 year sentences.

Is it ok if we start the revolution next week instead I was planning on watching dancing with the stars tonight.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-12-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Dude, would you stop treating this dignified forum like it's a junior high study hall? There are thoughts being expressed here! Also, are you coming to the meeting tonight? (Because it's your turn to bring the torches and eight-layer dip.)
    8 layer dip? Tres de classe, sir. How about some Frito pie while you're at it? Or some weenie-mac? Or maybe some peanut butter, banana & bacon sandwiches?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast