Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salton sea area

Default Salton sea area

Hey everyone,
    Dont normally frequent this part of the site(well at least not when im logged in) but ive been spending more time in this area lately and am looking for just a bit of info to get me started on fishing there next time i go. Ill probably be back in a month or 2 and will be fishing the sea and cahuilla. Again not looking for too much info just some to get me started for the trips i will be taking there in the near future.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Go for it. The Salton Sea is fed by the most polluted river in N America coming from Mexico that starts in Mexicali a city of 900,000 people.
    Many here say it is ok to eat the Tilapia but I would not even use them for garden fertilzer. Having worked for 2 years next to the Sea I would not even consider fishing it.

Check this video below. We went round and round over this topic. Scroll to the page with all the contaminants, heavy metals, ect. I'd fish the canals for bass and cats or Weist Lake for trout.

Public Health Advisory; See Video Below.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ghlight=salton

DR

thanks dockrat but im well a where of the pollutants in the sea trust me. I have no interest in eating a single creature thats comes out of that water. just wanna fish it to holdover my boardom when im down there.

I love the Smiley's DockRat. Can we see the Dead Horse one again?

Quote Originally Posted by fish-o-haulic View Post
    thanks dockrat but im well a where of the pollutants in the sea trust me. I have no interest in eating a single creature thats comes out of that water. just wanna fish it to holdover my boardom when im down there.
    There is great canal fishing down there (Colorado River water) all over the place. Over 1000 canals.
    Worked on a Geo Thermal power plant and was there 3 1/2 years. 1/4 mile to the sea and after checking
    it out and talking to locals we missed the bus by 40 years. Even that Alamo river is contaminated
    Seem as if the ones who get excited about the S S are unwilling to read and learn.
    DR

Castsfordays

Not trying to be a bad guy, but the health of FNN fishermen should be important.

Where is Fisher ? I love that guy, eating those Tilapia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Actually, the Salton Sea is NOT polluted...

Check it out for yourselves...if you don't, you're seriously missing out on a beautiful lake.

MUST SEE PICS AT THIS WEBSITE.
    Deep in the desert of southern California sits one of the worst environmental sites in America,
    a former tourist destination that has turned into a toxic soup: the Salton Sea.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-and-abandoned

DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 10-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Oh yea I've seen that fysher guys posts before. I don't hate him or nothing but to say the sea is not polluted at all is a little crazy. I thought it was common knowledge that the sea was more polluted then my toilet after eating a 4 bean burrito LOL.

When officials say that one should not consume more than 6oz of fish in a weeks time frame, why would anyone eat those fish at all. What guy only eats 6oz of fish in a sitting. Not this guy!!! Fish the Sea for fun, and hit the store on the way back home. JMO

Thanks for the Horse DR. lol

Yah, it really sucks that such a once great fishery has gone to hell. Couesdeer77
    put up these great pics below
    so we all can see and cry at how great it was. The Sargo, Mullet and the 'King' Corvina are all dead
    and gone mostly due to the high salinity levels, + algae blooms, + toxic water.
    Sir Isaac Newton: The Universal Law of Gravity.
    GRAVITY EXPLAINED.
    Water flows in only one direction: DOWN HILL.

3 rivers feed the Salton Sea, 2 of them are a perfect dumping grounds for Mexico.
    Mexicali Mexico; Elevation (26 ft) above Sea Level.
    The Salton Sea elevation is (227 ft) below sea level.

1) Whitewater (clean water, north end) flows south
    2) The Alamo River (contaminated waste water from Mexicali Mexico) flows north
    3) The New River (contaminated waste water from Mexicali Mexico) flows north

The Imperial Valley; The 85-year average annual rainfall is 2.93 inches.
    That means lack of fresh water.

The Salton Sea is shrinking (drying up) The Tilapia will DIE NEXT !
    At that point it should be renamed ' THE DEAD SEA '
    I say convert it to a DUMP SITE for all the trash from LA to SD.
    We need a large DUMP SITE for future So Cal generations, our dumps are filling up.
    This would be good for the Imperial Valley. A GIANT DUMP WOULD CREATE JOBS. $

Despite the New River’s history of pollution problems, pesticides were found in
    higher concentrations in the Alamo River, according to the study.

The New and Alamo rivers originate near the Colorado River Delta in Mexico and flow north across the border and into Salton Sea. They get most of their water through agricultural drainage. The New River also receives treat*ed and untreated municipal and industrial wastewater from Mexicali.

http://www.calexiconewriver.com/2008...ds-pesticides/

If Mexico had a EPA that cared about pollution in the 50, 60's, 70s, 80's' 90's, 00s,
    we would have excellent fishing today.
    Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    These were the good old days and the good eating fish in the salton Sea, before it died. The last pic is the last year there were corvina in the sea. The largest I caught was 33.5 pounds

Man those were the days. We will never see it again.

Take care
    couesdeer77
    DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast