Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in the rain....good or bad?

Default Fishing in the rain....good or bad?

This bad weather were supposed to have should free some time up for me from work. Any thoughts on fishing in the rain? All feedback appreciated!

Depends on your target species I think. When this warm weather hit my bite that I'd been on for weeks now died (yup full moon too) weeks prior the nastiest days seemed to be the most productive on bigger LMB's and of course stripers.

You know striper weather is wind, overcast and rain especially pre-frontal. With the wind up and front coming in tonight I'm going to see if I'm right tonight.

Nice! GL 2nite seal. I'll be going out for bass......anyone know if puddingstone is still free??

Fishing in the rain that's a good question. It really depends of what species of fish your fishing for. With that being said, I had a great oppoturnity this winter to test that theory on catfish. I had catfish biting for me everyday, so I could judge how they acted when a storm was comming in. I did this four times with the same results so I think I got a pattern. The catfish would bite right thru the rain, but slow down for a few days after the rain. You should have seen me on those days in the rain, it not only rained on me really hard but the wind was so bad it made me question my own sanity. Hope that helps a little.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-10-2012 at 02:03 PM.

I personally like fishing in the rain for several reason. Main one being you usually end up getting the place to yourself so its relaxing and quiet.

Rain is bad. The fish won't bite if they are wet...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Rain is bad. The fish won't bite if they are wet...
    Of course they're wet Skyler....they live in the water silly!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Fishing in the rain that's a good question. It really depends of what species of fish your fishing for. With that being said, I had a great oppoturnity this winter to test that theory on catfish. I had catfish biting for me everyday, so I could judge how they acted when a storm was comming in. I did this four times with the same results so I think I got a pattern. The catfish would bite right thru the rain, but slow down for a few days after the rain. You should have seen me on those days in the rain, it not only rained on me really hard but the wind was so bad it made me question my own sanity. Hope that helps a little.
    I never seem to have any luck after a storm either, maybe its time I get out there in my raincoat and test your theory!!

Just prior to a weather front, the barometric pressure falls, it usually stays low until the front passes. This is the best time to fish for LMB's and Mr. Stripey. Once the storm passes, the barometric pressure rises and the bite dies off dramatically, hence "post front conditions", or better known as "lockjaw". So to answer your question, yes fishing is generally good during a rain storm, just be prepared for heavy winds and waves if you are a boater...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Hawgz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast