Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Best rod to fish lucky 110s in the surf, what's your opinion.

Default Best rod to fish lucky 110s in the surf, what's your opinion.

Hello every one,

I am shopping for a casting rod, i have researched, read reviews on different rods, visited all local tackle stores and even considered going custom. This is becoming a very tidius task, the war is about to kick off and I don't have all my weapons for my arsenal. I need help!

I need a rod thats light.
    8 ft or longer
    Whip in the tip
    Exposed rod blank for sensitivity
    And enough power to handle the unexpected.

What does "enough power to handle the unexpected" mean? I am a novice fisherman so my advice is probably not too sound, but from researching the site, I can tell you that I have seen people reel in monsters on 6 to 8 pound lines. I guess what I am saying is that the parameters that you post are too wide in spectrum to give a really good suggestion. I know you said casting, but I have a shimano terez spinning, the lightest one at 7'2" and rated for 15 to 30 pounds I think. Its a bit heavy duty for the surf maybe, but I am a beginner.

This rod is super fast on the action and the blanks are super thin and light. Love the rod.

Take a look at the thread in this forum re Shimano Cumara rods. They are on sale. I think that I may actually get one of these myself.

In California I was using a Phenix Composite Crankbait rod and thought it handled the job nicely. I have both the spinning and casting models. Since moving overseas, there hasnt been much as far as lure fishing in the surf, so I've been using the spinning rod for everything, including bait and wait fishing. The rod has been beaten around quite a bit. Everything from smashing it into a wooden beam overhead while casting, to a friend using it to throw out 3/4 pound live tilapia while I was out on a boat. It's held up like a champ. This obviously only attests to the strength and durability, but it's definitely a well made rod.

Your search has ended. Look at the gloomis steelhead rods. The STR's are popular with the surf guys looking for a long rod that is sensitive, light, and offers casting models. Line ratings will vary. These have been long favorites for surf anglers.
    Last edited by tailchaser001; 04-10-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Take a look at the thread in this forum re Shimano Cumara rods. They are on sale. I think that I may actually get one of these myself.

Never heard of it and when I say unexpected, I mean thirty pounds and up.

I just bought the pheonix crank bait rod, I think it's made out of glass

great choice for Halibut and the unexpected