Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BBL lakefront cabin fishing 4/6-4/8

Yeah I'd love to hear about that too Seal, I've NEVER seen a lip hooked trout on power bait (or any dough bait)yet. Must be some serious skills there. Bummer so many city trout guys go up to the pristene mountain lakes and treat those beautiful fish with such disregard, just to get their fish on. I guess I'm not too suprised when they are used to fishing SARL. Its just different up there, I wish more people got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    You are an amazingly gifted fisherman cause I've been fishing longer than you've been alive by quite a bit and for some reason I'm not capable of safely releasing power bait caught fish. One day you will have to share your techniques with all of us so we all can use power bait for C&R.

Please if you have to use that "technique" use it on the county or city put and take lakes, do not use it on those beautiful BBL trout!
    Last edited by phishin phool; 04-13-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    I was using 4 to 5 foot leaders and that seemed to do the job. also any bright powerbaits will work
    Try casting as far as you can
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherstellar View Post
    I have always done very well using inflated night crawlers sprayed with Berkley Gulp Garlic. I have seen this method out fish power bait, but that is just my recommendation. I fish the crawler on a slip bobber rig. The other tactic for Big Bear that works is lead core trolling needle-fish. I use my electronics to identify the thermocline, usually between 15-25 ft, and troll the south side of the lake between the Dam and the Zebra Room. I have caught some nice rainbows doing that on a more consistent basis than any tactic from shore. Only in the early morning will I drop shot power worms on the secondary points, before the skiers make it out.
    Thanks you guys for taking your time to answer my questions. I'll try your ideas the next time I am up there. From the shore line I didn't think the big bear lake was that deep. Two weeks ago we were there and the water leavel was much lower than last April, so we tried 2 foot leader and had no luck. Now you all explained why we got skunked.

seal/phish fool- i've used circle hooks for years w/ various dough baits. If you play it right, you can have a very high successful release rate.

Mr. T Rex- Pm me the place you stayed at. I've been looking for a place to take the family and has good fishing right in front or really close. PM me if its available to the public.

Thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by dondadda View Post
    seal/phish fool- i've used circle hooks for years w/ various dough baits. If you play it right, you can have a very high successful release rate.

Mr. T Rex- Pm me the place you stayed at. I've been looking for a place to take the family and has good fishing right in front or really close. PM me if its available to the public.

Thanks
    Don
    Don,
    My cabin rents through Big Bear Cool Cabins. It is called the Lakefront Casita, it has a dock and is right on the lake! It also has a hot tub and wireless Internet. PM me and I will get you a better rate!

Quote Originally Posted by dondadda View Post

Thanks
    Don
    Not the point. Even it he is using circle hooks he did not mention it so if anybody comes on this forum announcing that it is easy to C&R trout using powerbait then I'm going to challenge it cause it just reinforces some of those fisherman out there that believe it's a valid way of C&R trout fishing.

Now I agree that circle hooks will increase dramatically your potential for safe release but I find it extremely hard to believe that all these individuals are holding their rods when fishing and are so darn attentive and experienced of fisherman that they have the ability to lip hook trout consistently while using bait. Sorry just don't believe it and everytime I read someone using powerbait for C&R I'm going to chime in, maybe not to give the thread author crap but hopefully to at least let younger or less experienced fisherman know it is NOT a good idea, ESPECIALLY AT BBL!!

Seal- I understand the gist of where ur coming from. Im jst sharing some ways to release trout.

as long as you cut the leader and dont try to pull the hook out the fish will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by dbfishing View Post
    as long as you cut the leader and dont try to pull the hook out the fish will be fine
    So what you are saying is if the fish swallows the hook into it's gut and you tug on it fighting the fish to bring it in then cut the line you are sure that this fish is going to live eventhough it has had a hook lodged deep in it's gut? Yes it will rust out if the fish survives but to believe that a sensitive trout doesn't have a good chance of damage done to it during the fight is ignorant.

Look I don't know when or who determined that C&R using powerbait is a good idea for trout but it just simply is not!
    Last edited by seal; 04-14-2012 at 09:44 AM.

WOW I see there are tons of experts on someones elses skills. I C&R all kinds of trout on PB & a great deal of them are lip hooked. I fish this lake a lot & got to say I dont see many damaged or floating trout up here on BBL.
    To say that someone cant or is unlikely to lip hook a trout must use big trebles & a fat wad of PB. I fish a 18 or 16 if I can find em & only enough bait to float the hook & use a strike indicator. If the fish does just swallow it & you have to use a hook remover let the fish swim on the stringer or in the bucket before you release it. I guess what Im saying is how can you say that no one can c&r with PB. Next time anyone doubting this is up at BBL pm & I'll show ya how.
    lip hook on PB

another

another

another well I hope you get my point it can & does happen may not be the norm for you dosnet mean it aint for someone else. Nice fish & great report not everyone on this site knows it all

Default bbl

Thanks for the report.
    Big Bear Trout are pretty tough. Have caught a number that have one or more leaders from breaking off previous fisherman.
    If the fishing is good and you are planning on releasing a few, especially the spawners there are a few tactics you can employ to maximize survival.
    Mosquito hooks with pinched down barbs. Much stronger than the treble hooks. Works well with power worms, powerbait etc.
    Try to keep their slime coat intact by not laying them on the dirt or grabbing them with dry hands, towels.
    The use rubberized nets will also minimize scrapping off of the slime coat.
    Prior to release, keep them in the water with your net for a few until they are kicking on their own.
    The bite has slowed a bit due to the storm but should pick up with the better weather.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast