Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: !st try catching crawdads at DVL

I guess I better get salmon heads and guts then.
    Is that the regulation- no freshwater fish as bait?

For what its worth Gerald... look into setting your traps in dirt canals, ponds, reservoirs... I see you fish the coachella canal.. try it and its off shoots..

I will add that I believe its still too early in spring. Crawdads mud up in winter and I usually don't start seeing them till summer Im no crawdad expert by any means but I work with and around their environmet daily. I do know I haven't seen one since nov..

I am also skeptical of a nig crawdad population in a lake such as dvl.. stripers and lmb I've seen you guys catch would massacre them

I say +1 to bacon, and add hot dog chunks to the list

Are you allowed to bring in your own crawdads at DVL?

Surprised that you got Nill ...

Location location location....

shuldn't be a big deal with what ur baiting....although striper is not real oily but still should work (not sure of legality ?)

Bacon seems like a good choice but chicken would be my pick..

Rocky locations are a MUST and don't go extremely deep would be my thoughts...

Try an entire different region till you find them....

There is a population of crawdads in DVL. Striper stomach contents have shown that they are preying on them. Be careful about bringing them in from other waters, as DF&G won't allow that. Gerald's right about Big Bear, which is a much more mature lake than DVL. There's a ton of them in there. At the old Gray's Landing, we used to catch them as we were fishing for trout. Those were the "good ole" days...........

As I said before crayfish are secretive.
    The opening of your trap must be right against the rocks. Fresh bait is. Best.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    As I said before crayfish are secretive.
    Very secretive.

They'll never tell.

Hahaha darkshadow. Heading out sunday ill give it a shot and drop the trap at a spot first thing out, ill let you guys know how it goes.

Never even considered the legality issue for the bait; always thought that would be a finfish bait issue. But you're right. Next time it will be something that won't get me in trouble.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast