Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Catfishing At Lake Havasu

Default Help With Catfishing At Lake Havasu

Hello catfish masters, I need your help. I have caught several Channels by chance at Havasu (on live shad) during the day when the shad are up in the Fall. I've also seen a few Faltheads caught (on live shad) then. But I have never actually targeted cats there. I will be there for Spring Break with my family in a few weeks and my daughter says that she wants to catch a catfish, preferably a Flathead but any kind would be great.

Please give your suggestions on where to hit the lake from shore (no boating) what time of the day or night, what kind of bait, what pound line and how to rig it.

Thanks a bunch,
    'hawg

Never done without a boat but heard that they do good in between site six and horseshoe camp ground on shore there or at the end of the channel in the park towards the Nautical side. Early morning or night if you have shad that is great might even pick up a striper. Good hunting mackrel and night crawlers work good also have caught on anchovie chunks. Plus forgot if you get out there early morning or evning look for crawdads cats love them there.
    Last edited by drifter023; 03-31-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Anyplace you can get to the water in the Bill Williams River area should give you a shot.

X2 Plumbertom! I always fished out of my boat behind the 5 mile per hour markers & Bill Williams river. Caught lots of catfish on fresh chunks of shrimp.

Thanks everyone, great info!

Cat fishing should be getting pretty good in Havasu. We have had some nice weather and the water is about 65 degrees at the surface. Using any of your basic cut baits or night crawlers should get you some channel cats. you can also pick up some of the large gold fish at petsmart and this might get you on some flathead cats and possible some stripers. If you have the gear to do it, using live bluegill will put you on the bigger fish (this is my preferred method of cat fishing) Night fishing is the best. Drifter was right about fishing at the mouth of the channel on the side that leads to the nautical . I have also had good luck on the other end of the channel near crazy horse campground. I would avoid the dock at site 6 (this place is a crap shoot)... It is nice for its ease of access but has tons of structure to get snagged on and rarely any fish. The shore between site 6 and crazy horse campground is also pretty good but there is a steep drop off so you will get snagged on this shelf quite a bit while reeling in your line.

Quote Originally Posted by DCCTrouserTrout View Post
    Cat fishing should be getting pretty good in Havasu. We have had some nice weather and the water is about 65 degrees at the surface. Using any of your basic cut baits or night crawlers should get you some channel cats. you can also pick up some of the large gold fish at petsmart and this might get you on some flathead cats and possible some stripers. If you have the gear to do it, using live bluegill will put you on the bigger fish (this is my preferred method of cat fishing) Night fishing is the best. Drifter was right about fishing at the mouth of the channel on the side that leads to the nautical . I have also had good luck on the other end of the channel near crazy horse campground. I would avoid the dock at site 6 (this place is a crap shoot)... It is nice for its ease of access but has tons of structure to get snagged on and rarely any fish. The shore between site 6 and crazy horse campground is also pretty good but there is a steep drop off so you will get snagged on this shelf quite a bit while reeling in your line.
    Where/how should I hook goldfish/bluegill and what type of rig?

I have never fished with goldfish but I know they work. For bluegill, I use a 5/0 eagleclaw kahle hook, trilene big game 20lb line, 1 1/2 ounce egg sinker. I just rig it carolina style with a 12 inch leader. This takes some heavier tackle though. One of my rigs is a 6500 ambassadeur on a 7ft ugly stick big cat rod, my other is a 7000 ambassadeur on a 7ft ugly stick custom. I am sure you could get away with a lot lighter tackle using goldfish since they are a lot lighter and would not need as heavy as a weight to hold them down. As far as hook placement on the bluegill, i hook them right under the rear of their dorsal fin.

nose hook or butt hook that bad boy, but be careful of the cast on butt hooking since the hook may rip out.

http://catfishtraining.com/wp-conten...ok-300x225.jpg

I don't use 2 hooks like this but I usually hook them where the rear hook is... They will stay alive for a long time like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast