Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: trolling from a boat...legit fishing or not?

IN THE BOAT IS IN THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line is it gratifies me a whole heck of a lot more when I'm unhooking a fish whethere it be bait, live bait, or trolling than any self important narcisistic, ego grandiosity I could get from knowing I stuck to "chucking artificals" all day "doing it the right way"

It was said best. Skunk busting>A stubborn fisherman

Hell I've been known to pitchfork em!!!!

In the boat is in the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    Trolling the way I do it:
    -Study the charts, pinpoint fishy looking underwater structure.
    -Study wind to find likely areas to hold bait and thus pelagic predators
    -work shade lines early and late in the day to target light sensitive predators like stripers
    -Start working the chosen areas, be they underwater points and ridges, or bays and coves.
    -Watch fishfinder to look for fish and the depths they are holding
    -Watch GPS chartplotter constantly to monitor speed and navigate lure around the structure I am working
    -Try different depths/lengths of leadcore and speeds to get lure into target zone (often near the bottom)
    -Work all the zones - upper water column, mid, and bottom to see where fish are holding
    -Work close to shore, further out, and way out to see where fish are holding
    *jerk the fly, work it constantly to make lure shoot forward then suspend and sink slowly like an injured baitfish
    -sweep rod periodically to make lure climb, then sink
    -speed up and slow down boat in a straight line to make lure climb and sink
    -make "S" turns and "V" turns to make lure slow down and speed up, climb and sink (all this in at the same time as jerking the line by hand)
    -Reel in and let out leadcore, as well as change boat speed to keep lure in the strike zone as bottom topography/depth varies
    -As soon as a fish is landed, re-set and blast back to area of hookup at speed while letting out the line again to try to keep contact with the school
    -work all other similar areas and depths to where fish was caught
    -pull up lines (sometimes 10 colors of it, 100 yards!) and move as quick as possible to the next structure; let out the line again
    -Note direction of travel relative to structure and/or wind direction that gets bit more

I have yet to catch a single striper just putting the rod in a rod holder and driving around the lake blindly!
    I actually got shoulder problems and tennis elbow from trolling and jerking that leadcore!
    I am not sure it is a method applicable to to guide charters; probably not all clients would appreciate having to work that hard physically LOL.
    But it is effective for me.

I agree that having a 100 yards of leadcore out can take some of the fight out from a striper.
    But so does having a 100 yards of mono with all that stretch.
    It's all fun.
    The more I understand the water, the bait, the fish, and the technique (trolling), the more consistent I get.

Gerald
    This is a great post and some great tips, Gerald!

You should definitely submit this as a "tip of the month" so it doesn't get lost in this stupid thread!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll face.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	34859 did someone say troll?

Lol idk, I know when you troll at the vine and your like 6-8 colors out, reeling in that much leadcore is hard work for a 3 pound trout xD

GET A DOWNRIGGER ,IF YOU DONT HAVE A BOAT THEY HAVE PORTABLES THAT WORK GREAT,THEN YOU GET TO TOSS THE LEADCORE RIGS INTO THE GARAGE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    So many styles of fishing.
    Go trolling for Tuna and when your reel goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Then a 15 min battle with your arms burning.
    Talk about a rush.

Trolling at the Vine =

DR
    Caught at Irvine lake flatline on 4# test. Definatley not boring in my opinion. LOL!!! Just my

Late on scene to this collision, but I do have a few points to make concerning some of the sanctimonious and snobbish claims made in this thread and others regarding the methods, tools, and baits used by others to pursue their fish.

My bottom line--if the course of conduct is within the limits and regulations set by the CA Fish & Game Code and CA Admin Code, it's none of my damn business how someone else goes after his/her fish. Nor is it any of your business how I pursue mine. If I'm in violation in some way, I'd appreciate a "heads up", but I study the regs pretty closely and strive to follow the letter of the law. I seldom fish with bait--bottled, frozen, or live. I do like fly fishing, but it's not the only method I use to do business. I keep few fish, and single barbless hooks are a feature of many of my lures and flies. But that's me, and I won't presume to inflict my angling catechism on others unless asked to do so. I only ask that others not belabor me with their orthodoxy and liturgy.

nicely put flytyingreloader.
    If trolling wasnt legit, it would not be allowed.
    troutkilla mentioned down rigger. If some of you dont have the $ for that or dont want to buy lead core set up. try the dipsy diver, but its requires a heavier pole, I like to use the fish seeker (bass pro has them) also dont forget to use snubber on trout set ups.

Looking at Western Outdoor News this week and most of the BIG TOADS in the
    'Whopper of the Week' were caught trolling,

The LMB ONLY shore crew that only fish one style needs to take off the blinders.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Looking at Western Outdoor News this week and most of the BIG TOADS in the
    'Whopper of the Week' were caught trolling,

The LMB ONLY shore crew that only fish one style needs to take off the blinders.

Nah, letem be stubborn S.O.B's.... so they can sulk everytime a boat passes by with a hookup

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast