Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: I need a little info Bear Creek & Santa Anita River

Default I need a little info Bear Creek & Santa Anita River

I was wondering if anyone knew what the trout bite is like in the Santa Anita river? Planning on heading out there tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayinpigssince93 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the trout bite is like in the Santa Anita river? Planning on heading out there tomorrow morning.
    The trout stocking is done for the season in the Santa Ana River. That being said, you can always find holdovers and also wild browns there. Most of the browns are in the 6 inch average sized range. Once in a while a little bigger-especially below the bridge near the Middle Control Road. Use crickets for the browns, and Velveeta cheese for the stocker rainbows.
    As for Bear Creek, the fishing remains pretty consistent-which means pretty good. You have to be willing to hike up or down and away from the easy spots. I'm sure you know that Bear Creek is specially regulated-no bait, no barbed hooks and 2 fish limit. With the recent rains (today) you better be careful. The roads to Bear Creek (1N09 & 1N64/ 54) get really nasty. You'll need 4-wheel drive, and even then it can be tough going. If the road is really muddy then I'd stick to the SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by RTG View Post
    The trout stocking is done for the season in the Santa Ana River. That being said, you can always find holdovers and also wild browns there. Most of the browns are in the 6 inch average sized range. Once in a while a little bigger-especially below the bridge near the Middle Control Road. Use crickets for the browns, and Velveeta cheese for the stocker rainbows.
    As for Bear Creek, the fishing remains pretty consistent-which means pretty good. You have to be willing to hike up or down and away from the easy spots. I'm sure you know that Bear Creek is specially regulated-no bait, no barbed hooks and 2 fish limit. With the recent rains (today) you better be careful. The roads to Bear Creek (1N09 & 1N64/ 54) get really nasty. You'll need 4-wheel drive, and even then it can be tough going. If the road is really muddy then I'd stick to the SAR.
    Thanks for the info RTG hope I land a few. Thanks for heads up about the roads also much apprecitaed.

What a great screen name! Very appropriate for fishing wild fish in the locals . The area below the bridge is pretty much fished out by other 'slayers'. Your best (and easiest) bet is to drive and hike on the road just above the Glass Creek Road Bridge. It goes all the way to Barton Flats and in most places runs right next to the road. There are 11 miles of SAR that you can access that will not be touched until next summer with plenty of holdovers. If you drive 1.8 miles upstream and start fishing there, you will come to some of the area's most productive wild and holdover fishing and have it all to yourself. The road turns to dirt but is level with lots of turnout and fishermen trails. Please take out your trash. This year was the worst ever for trash in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    What a great screen name! Very appropriate for fishing wild fish in the locals . The area below the bridge is pretty much fished out by other 'slayers'. Your best (and easiest) bet is to drive and hike on the road just above the Glass Creek Road Bridge. It goes all the way to Barton Flats and in most places runs right next to the road. There are 11 miles of SAR that you can access that will not be touched until next summer with plenty of holdovers. If you drive 1.8 miles upstream and start fishing there, you will come to some of the area's most productive wild and holdover fishing and have it all to yourself. The road turns to dirt but is level with lots of turnout and fishermen trails. Please take out your trash. This year was the worst ever for trash in this area.
    Thanks for the info Viejo much appreciated, will see what this weather has in store for us

There are plenty of fish below that bridge. It's the stockers that get fished out. If you are willing to get scratched up and a little wet, then hike way down below that bridge. The farther, the better. There are lots of nice wild fish there. Why? Because most people park at the bridge and fish for stockers in the immediate area. Sounds like someone is trying to keep a little "semi"-secret to themselves.

You gotta be kidding me. Everybody goes down stream from the bridge. For someone who is not dialed in and a bait fisherman....the fishing sucks. I suggested 11 miles of river access that will not see ten rods over the next four months and has plenty of both wild and holdovers. Trust me....unlike some...I don't share secrets with unlimited viewers on the internet.

...unlike some...I don't share secrets with unlimited viewers on the internet.
    PM ME SOME SECRETS!!

I promise I won't tell.

You gotta be kidding me. Everybody goes down stream from the bridge. For someone who is not dialed in and a bait fisherman....the fishing sucks. I suggested 11 miles of river access that will not see ten rods over the next four months and has plenty of both wild and holdovers. Trust me....unlike some...I don't share secrets with unlimited viewers on the internet.
    Yeah, you're right about that-everyone does go down below that bridge. Problem for them is that they stop about 1/4 down, when the hiking gets a little wet and thorny. I'm talking about hiking way downstream-the further the better. If you think that's fished out-good. More for me. Enjoy the holidays, Secret Squirrel, lol!