Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: trolling from a boat...legit fishing or not?

It's way more complicated than it seems--I used to think the same way. Hell, bait fishermen get the same scoff or worse from certain groups but until you've mastered it, then my hat is off to all sport fishermen irregardless of technique.

Default Trolling is OK

Fishreaper, I cant' tell you how many times I have trolled at Big Bear and Silverwood and wound up with the skunk! Trolling at different depths etc. I have trolled past the bait and wait where they were having luck and persisted with my troll. When luck strikes it is well worth the effort and I see no difference in method. It's all fishing, not catching!

lets troll the vine Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by marinate View Post
    I totally hear where your coming from. I use to think the same way and still do to an extent. I would be standing on shore watching boaters trolling while they sit back shootin the breeze with buddies, havin a beer, listening to the radio, etc...while pulling line. Didn't seem very sporting to me. I thought to my self, "How is that fishing?" On shore I'm casting, retrieving, feeling the weight/lure on the end of my line, and finally feeling the tug from a fish. To me that's fishing. Then I buy a kayak/float tube and now I'm beginning to like trolling as a method of fishing, but I don't feel disconnected to the "mechanics" of fishing because I'm pulling the line, varying the speed, changing the direction of the lure I'm pulling with my own arm power (not a motor/machine) and visual cues relative to my kayak. To do this effectively, you have to focus on what your doing while watching your rod/line/lure. So now I'm enjoying the benefits of trolling without getting too far away from the "connectedness" with my equipment and technique in the same way that I experience when fishing from shore or casting from a boat. Hope that makes sense.

More thoughts: But then again, how is bait and wait different than trolling? If you question the legitimacy of trolling, I guess you'd also have to question bait and wait...and this technique probably represents a majority of people who fish.
    You really fish like that for trout from shore? Because EVERY shore fisherman I see fishing for trout casts their shark rod with 50 lb. test and a 5 oz. sinker out as far as they can hoping to hit a tuber and sits and waits....and waits...and waits. Then, when they get one on, reel it with no fight whatsoever (cuz of the 50 lb. test). Now I don't think THAT is fishing. What skill is there?

Trolling is another form of fishing, and while it may not appear to be fishing to others, it is a very effective way to bag fish. Personally though I think it's a very boring way, and at times hectic, to fish as you are not really doing anything except for waiting and boat control. I'd rather grab a swimbait and chuck it all day long than troll. my 2 cents and then some.
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 11-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Killa View Post
    lets troll the vine Reaper
    Never lmao

There is a lot that goes in in trolling from lure selection, weather, boat speed etc etc, I think it is another was to attack fish.

trolling looks easy until you try it, and then when you do, you realize how hard it is...

Trolling is fishing. It's one of the tools available to us. Why would we choose not to use it?

If you get the chance to do it you'll find out that it's like any other fishing, knowledge makes or breaks it.

My boat uses a lot of fuel trolling. I still use trolling as way to survey the lake. It doesn't matter how you plan to fish, once you find active fish it will be better. Trolling is a great wayto find active fish.

Is bank fishing really fishing? I mean just sitting there in an easy chair waiting for a bell to ring? :-P I'll go- that if it's what is working.

When I spend my time fishing, I want to do it well. I'm willing to use the method that works, within the law.

I do , totally enjoy catching next to a purist who is catching skunk though. So feel free to stick to any method you like.
    Last edited by fishinone; 11-21-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345