Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to paint a reel

spray paint might build up to thick im an auto painter i would recomend base coat/ clear coat you can get any color you can trhink of and you wont have to worrty about film build up. fyi on the pearls, most are whats called a 3 stage which uses a tinted clear on top of the base then clear coat. the cost of these colors will probly cost more than the reel it self. min qyanity you can buy are pints so a pint of each will coast about 75 to 100 bucks a pint the clear about 60 a quart plus hardner 20- and you wont gewt the finish you think you might with anything but automotive clear.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfishguy View Post
    spray paint might build up to thick im an auto painter i would recomend base coat/ clear coat you can get any color you can trhink of and you wont have to worrty about film build up. fyi on the pearls, most are whats called a 3 stage which uses a tinted clear on top of the base then clear coat. the cost of these colors will probly cost more than the reel it self. min qyanity you can buy are pints so a pint of each will coast about 75 to 100 bucks a pint the clear about 60 a quart plus hardner 20- and you wont gewt the finish you think you might with anything but automotive clear.
    Ok so no primer just straight spray paint then a clear coat? And since your an auto painter, what do you think about baking the reel when it's dried for 1-2 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    Ok so no primer just straight spray paint then a clear coat? And since your an auto painter, what do you think about baking the reel when it's dried for 1-2 hours?
    reread old fishguy's post young grasshopper
    Last edited by evosamurai; 03-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evosamurai View Post
    reread old fishguy's post young grasshopper
    Oh I see lol my bad i was doing some homework and I'm all buzzed out cuz I'm tired, they make flat
    Black clear coat?

Hey guys just talked with my dad he said he went to the anodizing place and they had flat red,black,orange,yellow ad anything in between so I'll get it anodized but it's not going to he much of a project now I'll post pics of the rebuild and the final reel. And to match the matte black and gold colored spool, I was thinking about buying a carrot stik it'll be the sickest combo out there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123