Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to paint a reel

Default How to paint a reel

I won a Abu revo stx stripped for painting on eBay for 60$ and hes throwing in a abec-5 ceramic bearing kit I know STEAL!!!! So since its stripped for paint I want to paint it myself. I know I can take it to go get spray painted but I would rather do it myself since it would be fun. To anyone who's ever painted a reel, what kind of paint should I use it's all aluinum so I think regular spray paint would work and I had this idea of painting the frame pearl white or flat white and the sideplates flat back. I've painted before and I know if I put primer on The flat white won't look flat and would look cloudy so is it ok to not put primer on just like 7-8 coats of paint then clear coat? I think it will hold up. So is it ok to just use the regular 4$ spray paint they have at Kmart or should I use something more high tech like the 10 or 20$ cans? And who thinks I should just take it to the paint shop to get it done? Thanks for the help. And anybody have some cool ideas for painting it with stencils and stuff? I wanted to put a calico bass stencil or some waves on it waiting for some
    cool Ideas guys.

The tight tolerances that most reels are designed with can be affected with even the slightest thickness of a coat of paint. In other words, good luck trying to disassemble the entire thing, figure out what needs to be painted and what doesn't, and then put 8 coats of paint and trying to put it back together again.

All the reels I've seen custom painted went through a long and arduous and expensive process, and were broken down, piece by piece, and more anodizing was done, rather than painting.

Perhaps the person put it on eBay for $60, knowing it is going to be much more expensive to get it re-painted.

Check out the all black'ed out Conquest:

Is it really that hard? I'll cover the screw holes an I'm only painting the outside so maybe 3-4 coats?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    The tight tolerances that most reels are designed with can be affected with even the slightest thickness of a coat of paint. In other words, good luck trying to disassemble the entire thing, figure out what needs to be painted and what doesn't, and then put 8 coats of paint and trying to put it back together again.

All the reels I've seen custom painted went through a long and arduous and expensive process, and were broken down, piece by piece, and more anodizing was done, rather than painting.

Perhaps the person put it on eBay for $60, knowing it is going to be much more expensive to get it re-painted.

Check out the all black'ed out Conquest:

Is that your conquest? Looks sexy with the flat black

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    Is it really that hard? I'll cover the screw holes an I'm only painting the outside so maybe 3-4 coats?
    If you want a really nice paint job then you should paint each "painted" individual component of your reel. The easy part is dissembling the damn thing, painting the right parts and reassembling the reel is the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    If you want a really nice paint job then you should paint each "painted" individual component of your reel. The easy part is dissembling the damn thing, painting the right parts and reassembling the reel is the hard part.
    Well I already planned out what I want to paint and reassembling is easy for me have you ever opened a reel? It's quite simple if you know what each part does

Just sand it down with a fine sand paper till its smooth or you could just fish it rough. Another option would be to look in to getting some new side plates.

JerryG

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    Well I already planned out what I want to paint and reassembling is easy for me have you ever opened a reel? It's quite simple if you know what each part does
    Then I'd say go for it. Messing around with your tackle is half the fun when it comes to fishing. Oh and make sure you post a pic of the paintjob!

Yeah, pics of the project would be radical.

I've seen some pretty sweet paint jobs on reels before.

DockRat had this one done for him:

;-)

The possibilities are endless.

DockRat had this one done for him:

[img]http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picsuperreels6.jpg[img]
    ;-)

Lmaooo and when I'm done with the project I will post up pics maybe even a tip or "how to", I talked with my dad and he said he might know a couple guys who can anodize the sideplates flat black and I'll have to do the frame by myself.

Also read a nice article on how to paint reels at stripers online that helped alot too .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast