Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just getting into Fly Fishing

Default Just getting into Fly Fishing

Hello all,

I registered back in late Febuary, early March, so I got caught in the crash and had to re-create my ID,eh no biggie. Like the title said, I am just getting into fly fishing. I just got done last Saturday with the 3-day beginner classes at Pasadena Casting Club. Now that I can throw line out without looking like a complete idiot, I guess it is time to learn how to use the fly once it is in the water. I am thinking of learning out at Balboa lake. As I understand it this is a lake with lots of talipia that bite most anything. I figure that would be a good place to start practicing my skills and seeing if I can bloody well catch fish with a fly rod. From reading a number of threads I understand that the water there is toxic, so I have NO intentions of keeping anything I land from that lake. The other reason I am thinking about that lake is because it is VERY close to work for me.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mic

I know that the long beach casting club is also offering free casting classes in April.

http://www.longbeachcastingclub.org/

They have outings that are also free and educational.

Well, you are not the only idiot out there, join the club. I think I look sillier with my PINK fly rod out in lake trying to catch fish. I had nerve to practice all by myself for a few days ( after my teachers - 'Pudd MASTER BAITER' and 'VIVID_FLY' left the lake). I know I was clumsy out there and tended to get my line tangled a lot, but hey, we are learning right? I really enjoy it and it is fun! We will get it right someday.

Thanks for the kind words, your highness. One day I would like to finally meet you, the Pudd Master Baiter, Vivid_fly, Whitebelt, and the Three Musketeer and other members of this forum. I will take whatever advice I can get. I have never been to Lake Balboa, and I have never fly fished so it should be an adventure for me. I figure if I catch Talpia as I am learning, it would certainly help my confidence.

I have fished Balboa, and I think it would be a fine place to learn, as long as you are there on a weekday. Lots of space, and lots of fish. I'm planning to fly fish it this Spring/Summer for the first time. I know that the Tilapia there will go crazy for salmon eggs drifted under a bobber if you time it right. I'd assume they would hit a fly. By the end of April, tilapia should be ready to bite aggressively (I think).

End of April, huh? I actually had time today after work to go and visit the park. That is a very nice park, lots of space for people to enjoy themselves. I saw a couple of folks tossing lines into the water, but not catching anything. From walking around the shore to the waterfall, the lake looks shallow and rocky bottom. Is the entire lake that shallow and rocky? The water was surprisingly warmer that I would have expected. I guess that is why the talpia there could thrive. I did see a lot of cormorants (Water Thugs) diving for something, so I am going to guess that there is fish there, and did see a couple of ripples in the water that did not look like they were caused by the cormorants or ducks. I ran out of time (they were throwing people out and closing the gates; I got there a little after 6pm) before I could completely walk around the entire lake. Someone told me there is a fly casting area. Is that an area for practising fly casting, or is that an area back there to fly fish? I am going to start with some wet flies. I read somewhere that talipia go for some of the small bead heads.

From somewhere on the net, read that this is a great place to take kids to go fishing (as long as you do not take any home to eat). From the descriptions I expected to see schools of talpia from the shore, but did not. I guess when it gets warmer the schools will start showing up.

Tilapia definitely like warmer water. It needs to be at least 75-80 for reproduction, 85 is better. Below 65 they won't even eat much. Come to think of it, June/July might be a better time. If I were casting there, I'd start with size 14-16 Zebra midge on a scud hook. If you get a chance to take a temp. reading, please report it. Good luck.

I just stuck my hand in the water to get an idea of the water temperature. It was actually warmer than the air temperature. I have to say that it was not even close to 75F, maybe 68~69F. I guess I need to remember my other digital watch the next time I stick my hand in the water.

A zebra pattern midge eh?

Any big tilapia live in Balboa?

:-D

The thing about flyfishing is a lot of people start it, then get frustrated and never pick it back up. You need to make sure you are only taking fly gear when you go fishing. Do not take spinning gear. Learn to fly fish for about a year before you decide if its the right choice for you or not. It does get fun once you get the hang of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast