Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizard Fish Recipes

Default Lizard Fish Recipes

Anybody ? Doh....

Have you checked the "helper" isle of your local grocery store? Probably find "lizardfish helper" in between "hamburger helper" and "tuna helper".

they aren't bad. You have to ice them immediately though, they spoil fast like cod and hake.

I've eaten a few. Try breading one some time. You do have to scale them first. Be careful not to bruise the meat.

Those who claim they taste bad are lying.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post

Those who claim they taste bad are lying.
    Yep. A lot of guys who trash on "junk" fish like lizards, macs, and carp, just to name a few, have never really tried eating those fish before. Honestly, any fish tastes great if you know how to prepare them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    A lot of guys who trash on "junk" fish like lizards, macs, and carp, just to name a few, have never really tried eating those fish before. Honestly, any fish tastes great if you know how to prepare them properly.
    "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy *&#%(!$."

Whats a Lizard Fish ?

From a California pier fishing website. They are also caught further out when fishing from boats:

California Lizardfish

Species: Synodus lucioceps; from the Greek word synodus (the ancient name of a fish in which the teeth meet), and the Latin word lucioceps (pike head).

Alternate Names: Gar, barracuda, candlefish.

Identification: They are cylindrical with a broad lizard-like head and a mouth full of large canine-like teeth. Their coloring is mostly brown above and lighter below.

Size: Up to 25 inches and around 4 pounds; most caught off piers are under 14 inches.

Range: From Guaymas, Mexico to San Francisco but uncommon north of Point Conception.

Habitat: Prefers shallow, sandy areas 5 to 150 feet deep and spends a considerable amount of time sitting on the bottom with the body at a slight angle waiting for food to swim by.

Piers: Most common on piers in Southern California, although I have caught them as far north as the Monterey Wharf No. 2. Best bets: Imperial Beach Pier, Ocean Beach Pier, Shelter Island Pier, Dana Point Harbor Pier, Balboa Pier, Newport Pier, Seal Beach Pier, Malibu Pier and Goleta Pier.

Bait and Tackle: : Commonly caught when fishing the bottom for other species. Seem to hit any bait but live anchovies get the best results. Use light or medium tackle and a size 6 to 2 hook.

Food Value: Reportedly, they are good to eat but quite bony. Some people say the flesh has a strong "fishy" odor and an iodine taste, but others say they are good eating. I'm not sure.

Comments: Up until the '90s I would have said this was an uncommonly caught fish; I had caught one at Newport Pier, one at Port Hueneme Pier and one at Monterey Wharf No. 2. However, I have seen many caught since the mid-'80s. In particular, piers in San Diego Bay and the Los Angeles area have seen a tremendous increase in the catch of lizardfish. Several people have reported that small lizardfish make good halibut bait.

I've tried Shovelnose Guitarfish before. It was surprisingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy *&#%(!$."

You made the point I was going to try and make much more eloquently than I could.

Guitar Fish is a shark Good eating. Nothing compares to a amonia smelling Lizard Fish.

Hey,,, are they legal to take during this rock fish shut down ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast