Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your very first.................!!!!

Default Your very first.................!!!!

It's a very memorable moment for all of us, your first reel. So tell me guys, what was your first reel or your favorite reel of all time? When I first started off my dad would take us ( us being me and my bro) to Walmart about 12 years ago and we would buy some worm gear or Shakespeare fishing rods, nothing special just so we can use them a couple of time till he was convinced that we would take care of our gear and that we loved fishing. So the next day we went to Walmart and bought two spinning reels I don't really remember but it was a Shakespeare or Abu Garcia around 60$ I believe and we paired it with berkely rods. That was a really happy day for me cause it was my first well made professional stuff ( I thought it was at the time) that wouldn't break in two months. So we took it to pyramid a couple days later and I hooked into a nice trout or striper it was a double hookup so I cant remember, and guess what happened? I reeled and reeled but the drag didn't hold up and it kept taking line and takin line till it found a hole to hide in and stayed there for half an hour till it died and I could bring it back. And after that day, what my dad witnessed with the fish taking the drag, I think it was a 1500 size, we went and returned the reels then bought two c3s. One was mine it was the Abu Garcia original in red 5500 size and my bros was the ambassador brute in gold color 5600 size. I'm writing a novel here so to make it short, to this day I am any Garcia for life!! One of my most favorite reels in the world the c3 and c4 it Wasy very first baitcaster at age 5 and to tell you the truth, when people start their children out with zebco 33s then baitcasters, that's wrong. You have to use the hardest you can find till you master the thumb imagine starting out on a big ole c3 when your 5 till your 12 and it breaks cause your little brother grabs it and throws it around till the reel seat breaks off ( a common problem I've found with the c3s) I don't think I will ever forget that reel or the day I bough and used it just truly amazing.

Now tell me your story!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evosamurai View Post
    Lmaooo nice better than a bottle or those pvc pipes

Here you go.

From the left to the right. #1 and #2 are both Pfluger Akron's Model number 1893L (Low Patent Number, 841,796)
    These were originality owned by my Grandpa and my Father. They both fish Lake Erie with them back in the early 40's and maybe even the late 30's.
    I used them in the early 60's at Fairmont Park in Riverside Ca. Every Sat. we fished for Catfish with these. With the Steel Hexagon Rods.

#3 is a 1922 Wandereel Deluxe by Shakespeare Model GE

All three DO NOT go into Free Spool. You cast and keep your fingers away from the handles or you get a busted knuckle. Each are still in working order, however I don't think I will ever use them again. Display only for now.

WWO

My first reel was an old Miller Lite can my pops handed down to me.

It was crushed a bit in the middle, and had 20# mono wrapped around it, with a spark plug at the end for a sinker.

After that I graduated to a Ryobi reel, with an old Berkely Power Pole, the one with the fluorescent chartreuse tip that had zero back bone, and a split grip.

My FAVORITE? Has to be my Conquest 50, hands down.
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 03-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I believe my first was a cheapy zebco spincast my dad got me 10-15 years ago. My favorite would probably be the pflueger i use now.
    Last edited by white belt; 03-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Nice wwo those look real old how many bearings 1? Lol I guess we all started with zebcos

I can't afford aluminum cans....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40809_1469523031710_1642637258_1145531_2384039_n.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	34099  

I cannot remember the brand of my first fishing rod and reel, I was too young, and I think it was some generic brand with no names. The one that I could remember from way back in the day was a old classic Zebco 202 reel.

My very first setup was a cane pole and nothing more than line and a hook... I had an awesome fishing book that showed how to make one.

My first actual reel, like most people was a Zebco, back when they didnt break after the third cast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast