Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-storm Pig at the Pit

Default Pre-storm Pig at the Pit

Since the Pit is only 5 minutes from my house, and I hadn't been there in about a month, I decided to give it try Thursday after work. On my second cast, I felt a slight tick, so I reeled up the slack and let her have it. My six pound test started screaming off my reel and it was heading straight for some submerged tree, at this point I had one choice, tighten the drag and try to turn it, to avoid the trees. So, that's what I did and after a 10 minute battle here was the result. A 24 1/12 LMB, my personal best from any lake. She was a real beauty and appeared to have spawned already. Since I had no scale I could only estimate the weight somewhere between 7.5-8.5 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMB2.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	33996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB LMB.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	33995  

no doubt a nice bass but by what i can tell from the picture you over estimated the weight by a few lbs. more likely around 4lbs would be my guess. nonetheless a nice catch.
    btw, that ground seems a little rough to be laying fish on.

Nice bass. And, as Stressd said, that bass only looks to be about 4lbs.

nice catch! But ya, you should watch where you lay the fish on, cement is just as bad.

I did measure her at 24 1/2 inches. I've never seen a 4 lb. bass much over 20 inches.

According to weight in relation to length charts a 24" bass could possibly weight 8 and some change. However unless your calculating weight and girth the charts can be anywhere from accurate to way off the mark. Here is a link to a chart http://windycityfishing.com/bass_conversion_chart.htm

If you google bass weight to length charts you will likely get a list of charts but as mentioned depending on girth the weight difference can be significant between several fish of the same length. If you had the length and the girth at the widest point of the belly you could have got a better idea of what the fish weighted. A scale might be a good investment for next time. Personally I won't try to guess the weight of that fish because with out seeing it I really have no idea but I will say well done you got a nice fish and leave it at that.

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 03-19-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks, for the info Jerry. I do have a scale, but to be honest, I never thought I would need at the pit so, I left it in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    According to weight in relation to length charts a 24" bass could possibly weight 8 and some change. However unless your calculating weight and girth the charts can be anywhere from accurate to way off the mark. Here is a link to a chart http://windycityfishing.com/bass_conversion_chart.htm
    JerryG
    Good info Jerry, thnx.
    DR

length and girth aren't very reliable for estimating a LMB's weight! 40 % of the fish weighs nearly nothing!

Nice largie dude! What is the pit anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast