Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yo, what happen

Seeing some of these old posts is like Deja Vu all over again. I tried logging in on the 16th to post a Big Bear report and I kept getting an error that my protection was blocking a file download. It looks like you can access the forums if you have them directly bookmarked, but the home page still says down for maintenance.

2. Default

No back ups since November? That's sad, lost a lot of valuable fishing info...The best part of this forum is the wealth of reports, info and more...losing it is pretty catastrophic.
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 03-18-2012 at 02:48 PM.

I had the problem with my security blocking this site also. Said it was trying to load some kinda malware so it blocked the site.
    To get back on I had to go through the search engine and open it from there. then redid the bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    I still can't access this site by entering it's address. It tells me "site down for maintenance". I searched "fishingnetwork.net offline", and here I am. Why is this? How did you guys get access to this site? What caused the crash? Just before it went down, I saw 29lbr had posted on several areas of the forums claiming "DVL is closing", which is bee ess. I also contracted a virus and my computer was taken over, while on this site. Thankfully I knew what to do and immediately went into safe mode and eliminated the bug. Haven't been able to access since, until now. Was this all caused by a malicious attack?
    Yeah that dude posted up on every section.......Hmmmm

When I saw all of the 29lber posts, i wondered if it was some sort of attack. my computer didn't contract a virus ('cause I have a Mac?), but I did notice a warning about possible malware on the site. I'm glad it's back. Thanks to all who resolved the problem. I hope no one's sensitive information was compromised.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 03-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.

HawgZWylde what did you do to kill the bug/intercept the virus?? I too, saw those threads about DVL closing the last day the site was up which was a few days ago. My computer was running sooooo slooowwwww while it was trying to load those threads...but each time I ended up just shutting it down... I think my anti virus was not letting me open the thread...
    I think my computer is running fine now...Normal high speed just the way I like it..but We'll see in the next couple days..

Ghetto....how would we know if any of our sensitive information was compromised??? I did have a slight issue with ebay/paypal friday...kinda makes me wonder..

Pete

7. Default

Just a thought: I noticed the site was running incredibly slow in the hours before 29lbers posts, at least 3-4 hours before. I don't think his posts were the sole cause of the problem, whatever it may have been. Would be very thoughtful of the Admins to let us know what happened and if anyone's user information was compromised.

Ghetto....how would we know if any of our sensitive information was compromised??? I did have a slight issue with ebay/paypal friday...kinda makes me wonder..

Pete[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pete. I only know how to use computers and not much else. I guess that's why I use a Crapple Macintosh. I hope the admins will be able to have some idea if malware may have been downloaded onto our computers. I can't expect them to do too much as this site is free and I'm sure they are maintaining it on their own time. I can only think of being extra viligant and watching our accounts like PayPal, eBay and our bank accounts and credit card like hawks.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 03-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Pete, it's a long story but I'll keep it short. After I clicked onto one of those bogus reports by 29lber, the virus, which was a Trojan that imitated windows security, shut down the program I was running and said I needed to click on it in order to eliminate a "supposed" worm infection. It wouldn't let me open anything. After an infection a few months ago, I recognized it as an impostor program and immediately shut my computer off. I then rebooted into safe mode and downloaded a microsoft recommended program called super anti spyware. I ran the scan which then identified and eliminated the Trojan, which by the way, within one half hour allowed 3 more Trojans and a handfull of other malwares to enter after it had commandeered my computer and dropped the firewall. Once that was cleaned out, I had to go to microsoft support and download an auto fix it program which then fixed the software framework damaged by the viruses. At this time, I became aware that there was a lingering problem from said earlier infection that prevented my computer from accepting windows updates thus leaving my computer vulnerable to infection regardless of security. And the earlier infection had shut off my windows alert, so I had no clue. Whew, pain in the arse huh? Since you didn't have an earlier infection like mine, all your software was probably running strong thus preventing an infection, but the virus was still strong enough to slow it down. My advice to everyone that was on the site for that day is to download and run an independent anti spy ware program, in safe mode, just to be safe, even if everything seems ok for now. Some viruses can hide themselves from your security once it's in your computer, as happened with my first infection, then WHAM, it nails you, and possibly allowed private info to be captured through keyloggers etc. Once you have done the scan, you can delete the independent antivirus software. Again, the one I used, super anti spyware, was recommended to me by micrsoft, and did the job quite well. And it's free.

Pete, if you had a problem with paypal, I would contact them and investigate. Keep close watch on all your secure accounts for anything amiss. If you see something that doesn't look right, it usually isn't. You are probably alright since nothing happened, but it's better to be safe than sorry...

Carpangler, I'm not saying his multiple posts had anything to do with the infection, it's just what I was doing when the infection became known. But why did he post that all over this site?

damn i just posted about my 64 lb halibut but it got erased...oh well

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast