Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fishing and Prawning in Singapore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fishing and Prawning in Singapore

I was in Singapore for work this week. It's not a great fishing place due to the population density, and there are few options but I thought I would give it a try anyway. My meetings finished up at 2pm on Friday so I took a cab to a place called Bottle Tree Park which has a fishing lake. You have to pay a fee and they stock it with various fish. I didn't know where to begin, but since they only allowed single barbless hooks I went with a white Gulp jerkshad and tried fishing it various ways until I got a strike. I actually hooked up in the first few casts but didn't set the hook well because I wasn't really expecting it. I was ready for the next strike and the fish hit the lure at top speed and kept going, burning off drag. I knew it was a strong fish after a couple of runs and then it leaped clear out of the water and I could see it was a 10lb+ Pacu. I had never caught a Pacu before and had no idea they could fight and jump like that. Anyway, it took a solid 10 mins to reel it in using 30lb braid and a 12lb leader. Great fight. Good thing I had set the drag right because it made several runs and a couple more jumps. I was pretty stoked after that but I missed the next few strikes. About an hour later I was able to catch some sort of Asian catfish. It was a bit bigger than the Pacu but did not fight as hard. That was it for me but I was happy to land a couple of fish on lures in a couple of hours in a continent I had never fished. The locals were all using bait and picking off a catfish here and there. They seemed pretty excited about the Pacu.

Later on I met up with my coworkers at a prawning pond also in Bottle Tree Park. You pay by the hour and fish for prawns with little cane poles and tiny bits of bait. It took a little while to get the hang of it but we managed to land 15 in an hour. We then went to the restaurant to have them cooked. Tasty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacusm.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	33932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catfishsm.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	33933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGandDanPrawnsm.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	33934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prawnsm.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	33937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prawnssm.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	33935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prawndinnersm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	33936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottle treesm.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	33931

Pretty darn cool!

That's badass! I bet it felt like a gigantic bluegill! The iridescent shark is cool, too!

The prawn fishing was neat too.

cool man i dint know pacu got that big.

i think smokehound called it right irdescent shark or swai. which frys up pretty dran good.

Very cool !! Thanks for sharing !

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post
    cool man i dint know pacu got that big.

i think smokehound called it right irdescent shark or swai. which frys up pretty dran good.
    Pacu apparently get to twice that size, which would be a very tough fight.

That Pacu is awesome. They used to have big Pacu that size and bigger at Hermosa Reptile
    on PCH in the early 70's.
    That place had a 20' long tank and as a kid I'd stare at the Pacu and 4' Arrowana.
    Great pics, THNX
    DR