Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon on the chew with Northern SWAT Crew. Long Story with Pic's

Default Salmon on the chew with Northern SWAT Crew. Long Story with Pic's

First let me say Hi to all the Northern Saltwater FNN'ers on here.

I was invited to join Exfactor and a long time fishing buddy of his, George and get a chance at the Salmon bite going on off Avila.

Mike aka Exfactor said be at his house a 3:50 am. Oh man I need my beauty sleep... Anyway I showed up on time and then off to Georges house for ride to Avila. We set out in the dark and made our way without any issues.

Arrived at the launch area. A boat sling system that was working very well. The operator was placing boats every few minutes. We waited almost an hour for our turn, but we had a great time talking to some of the other fisherman. Lots of 411 was shared and before you knew we were on the water.

These guys are long time friends. Both know the water and fishing very well. And you can tell in the picture one is thinking we need to go over here, while the other is thinking we need to go over there. These 2 were almost as much fun as the fish. I not sure that's how they would look at it thought.

We motored around a little and then set up. Trolled 3 different set ups at 3 different depths. George got the first hook up and it was in the boat by 8:30 on ice.
    We didn't talk about who would be the next on a rod. Then almost exactly 1 hour later we get hooked up again. No one moved on the rod so I grabbed it out of the holder and did everything opposite of what the guys had told me. Mike had said "Bill I want you to pull and hold the rod in a sideways position. What did I do? Stand up Tuna style baby. Mike fixed that real quick. Old habits are hard to break most of the time...........

I somehow managed to come out with this beauty

At this point we had 2 very nice fish on board and were confident the 3rd wouldn't be a long wait. Sure enough its Mike's turn. I watch every move on how he handled the fish. Let me tell you all right now, He is called the Yoda of fishing for a reason. If you have the desire to learn how the experts do it, he will tell you how its done. Not many anywhere are better.
    But this is where the story gets sad. For me at least. Mike "no sweat" It happens. Fish goes into the net, the hook falls out of the fishes mouth, everybody is happy. Then you see no fish in the net, HUH? It went in head first. Well somehow the fish turned around and swam right back out, without the BTW Barbless Hook.

We reset knowing the fish were here. Trolled and trolled for a good hour then what we had been waiting for. This time it was on the rig Mike had near him so it was game on real quick. George starts clearing the other 2 lines and down rigger. I am driving the boat, Mikes getting the fish in. We see the Flasher coming up and a HUGE fish right behind it. A good 25lber for sure. George has the net in hand, I am ready to turn where ever I need to turn when all of a sudden the line just above the hook is cut by the very sharp teeth. The disbelief and silence was deafening. This is not suppose to happen.
    What can you do but reset and go at it again. Unfortunately it was getting late and many other boats had already headed back to port. We gave it the old college try to no avail to get that 3rd fish. Well at least Mike got to fight 2 fish while George and I got one each.

Here's some pic's of the day to go along with the story.
    Thanks for reading and best of luck to everyone.
    WWO

The gratuitous Wingnut shot

Mike taking a Siesta...

Woah great trip!!! Congrats on an absolutely beautiful PB! It's always good to have friends who are knowledgeable in any given area. You used your own "Tuna" style and it worked! haha. Too bad about Mikey's fish though, especially that 25lber! But fortunately he is a "yoda" so I'm sure he will have the chance catch one again.

3 PB's on 3 back to back outtings, that is just amazing! I want more details about, baits, how they fought ect!!! Also how do you plan on cooking that bad boy?

Thanks for the awesome report and pics,
    Lucas
    Last edited by Mr_Dunev; 05-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Awesome job out there boys. Sure as hell beats fishing for perch!
    I've always wanted to catch another salmon since the last hookup for me was back in 99 when I took my dad out on a half day boat to the channel islands. Those fish are so beautiful and rare to get into but you guys prevailed. I just recently read up on all of the restrictions pertaining to salmon fishing and you mentioned the barbless hooks. I know you guys were trolling with dodgers but what kind of bait were you using with the barbless hooks and were they circle hooks?

Just trying to further my knowledge.....Great job out there guys. Now you have some REAL fish to smoke Bill. Let us know how it came out.
    Last edited by bones; 05-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dunev View Post
    Woah great trip!!! Congrats on an absolutely beautiful PB! It's always good to have friends who are knowledgeable in any given area. You used your own "Tuna" style and it worked! haha. Too bad about Mikey's fish though, especially that 25lber! But fortunately he is a "yoda" so I'm sure he will have the chance catch one again.

3 PB's on 3 back to back outtings, that is just amazing! I want more details about, baits, how they fought ect!!! Also how do you plan on cooking that bad boy?

Thanks for the awesome report and pics,
    Lucas
    Dang dude I got the smack down on the Tuna style. JK on that. But I did get reminded of how its done and with that I got a great fish.
    Tonight we cooked the collars on the grill. Hummmm. Tomorrow a little sashimi and then real soon I want to try Tammy's suggestion.
    You know what, I have been real lucky to have bumped into several good people up here. Mikey is one of those who is so knowledgeable its scary. You wonder if you can learn even a quarter of what he knows and if you do, that would put you ahead of the curve on any scale.
    Talk to ya soon
    WWO

Cool

Oh my... Master Yoda had a 25 pounder on the line...???
    What a fantastic trip... you know that you took my seat right Bill?
    You are definitely learning from the best, Mikey & George are always on top of their game.
    You're having a good week Bill, how are you gonna top his one?!?
    That pic of Mikey crashed out is hilarious... that looks like me after one of the long sessions on his boat.
    Enjoy that Salmon!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 05-14-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Oh my... Master Yoda had a 25 pounder on the line...???
    What a fantastic trip... you know that you took my seat right Bill?
    You are definitely learning from the best, Mikey & George are always on top of their game.
    You're having a good week Bill, how are you gonna top his one?!?
    That pic of Mikey crashed out is hilarious... that looks like me after one of the long sessions on his boat.
    Enjoy that Salmon!
    Like Mike WOULD say, You snooze you lose Big Guy...
    Now if I could run down and get one of those Leo's that we were playing with on Sunday morning No matter what size, it would be another PB. I have only hooked one and it was on the Pier a few years ago and never got it out of the water.

Mikey took it well when he lost the Big One. I think I understand. Sometimes in the life of a fisherman when you know you have caught so many fish over the years, losing one is not that big of a deal. You know it won't be your last fish. Now I would guess if it was the biggest one ever, he might of felt different. But like water off a Ducks back, it just rolled off.

Either way I glad your Boss is a *&$% and you couldn't make it. But it would of been even better if you were there.

Sorry to hear about the two that didn't make it on the boat but considering the two that did make it aboard it sounds like you guys had a stellar trip. I remember catching salmon up in SB and Ventura when they had a strong run one season 15+ years ago. We had to fish them on light line, light action rods, and we had to fight them with our drags backed off to avoid pulling the hooks. Glad to hear you guys got in them. Keep up the good work.

JerryG

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    Sorry to hear about the two that didn't make it on the boat but considering the two that did make it aboard it sounds like you guys had a stellar trip. I remember catching salmon up in SB and Ventura when they had a strong run one season 15+ years ago. We had to fish them on light line, light action rods, and we had to fight them with our drags backed off to avoid pulling the hooks. Glad to hear you guys got in them. Keep up the good work.

JerryG
    Thanks Jerry.
    Lets hope to have more days like what you had, Back in the Day.

Bill,

That was an awesome report! and congratulations on a beautiful salmon.

I've heard plenty of stories about the "Yoda" and I'm sure that just going to school on a guy with mad skills like he has had to be well worth missing a little beauty sleep for.

I enjoyed the post and looking forward to more!

Very nice report Bill.
    You are very lucky to be invited to fish with Mikey, did you take notes... ; )
    Again, nice picture and report,
    Robert
    <><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast