Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Project Starter - Lake Perris bottom contour mapping

Default Project Starter - Lake Perris bottom contour mapping

I got bucket load of data for shallow areas for Lake perris. Very very little info on the deeper areas. Anyone have a fish finder that is willing to start this project with me for all the FNN to use for the glory of Lake Perris, that is, if there is a new forum channel opens up?

Last topo was dated back to 1977. Latest topo stops short at the lake's water edges, which is at 1593 feet recorded in 2007. Nothing, and I mean nothing for the present day of the lake's bottom.

I've compiled a latest database of GPS coordinates and depths that I've gathered for the past 2 years in the shallow areas: east side all the way to the island, south side from east to dam, and along the dam from the north to the south within the buoy line. Very little data on the north side since that area was heavily populated by watercrafts causing too much data discrepancy.

Data collected: water structures, such as fallen trees, swales, depressions, odds and ends structures, even a very old rock bed roadway (possibly for construction activities way back when), and even sunken boats and old Christmas trees/debris. Also plants' growths, including heights (perfect indicators for predation fishes that chase after their meals based on the times of day).

Let me know if you guys want to chime in with your data. Use Google Maps to plot GPS coordinates and depths. If you don't know how, let me know. I'll help you out. It's going to be an awesome contour map, utilizing Google Earth and maps satellite overlays to create this unique project. I can do the same for DVL, Silverwood, etc., just as long as I have data to use.

Leo

http://www.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.php
    there is one for lake perris
    Last edited by dixoncider; 11-03-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks for the info. However, that lake's bottom contour map was more than 15 years old. I have it. Depths completely changed after they modified the lake's bottom due to earthquake's retrofits. Plenty have changed since 15 years ago.

sounds interesting,
    I dont get out there that much to do it.
    there is software that will help you create a better map

-bb

I'm currently using ESRI GIS program for map overlay, Google earth to compare data points, and USGS most current data to compile the map contours with proper GPS data and depths. Also Photoshop to add some underground water features and memos. Final results, Google Earth KMZ file to incorporate into the free Google Earth software, and you can do what ever you want..with the most updated software. Of course, it's free to the public, rather than shelling out $8 for an outdated version. Companies out there will try to grab the data themselves, but hey, it's a free world, and do what ever you want with the data.

Did this KMZ file ever get made? I'd be interested to see