Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic blooper at work for me

Default Epic blooper at work for me

So as a few of you know I work at Disneyland as a Jungle Cruise skipper. (ATM anyway, I've worked quite a few positions in my seven years there.) There are a lot of ducks in the river and as of late I've taken to warning my boatload of guests about the dangers of carnivorous ducks. It often goes like this

"They're all man-eaters...now don't get me wrong, they're equal-opportunity and will eat women too. I know they'll also eat popcorn and french fries but don't be fooled - that's just how they lure you to the water's edge! And that is when the attack comes...not from the front, but from the side. From the two ducks you didn't even know were there."

The last bit is dialogue from Jurassic Park, of course. Well last Sunday I did this man-eating duck routine for my guests and it caused a sizeable group sitting in the back of the boat to completely. freak. out. with laughter. I'm talking about gasping side-grabbing redfaced hysterics that went on for a good 2-3 minutes while I'm standing there thinking "okay ya spazzheads it wasn't THAT funny."

It wasn't until I unloaded my boat at the dock that I realized that one of the men in the group that LOL'd so hard was Sam Neill. You know, the actor who played Grant in Jurassic Park - AKA the character who spoke the very same line of movie dialogue that I just spoofed. Thus the maniacal laughter from his entire party.

I made a point of apologizing to him quietly, saying that I didn't know he was on the boat. He just grinned and said "Oh we knew you didn't know I was there, that just made it all the funnier!" and thanked me for inducing the aforementioned hilarity.

So was this a win or a fail on my behalf?
    Last edited by TheMightyGerbil; 10-25-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Win!I love that cruise and all the commentary.

That's funny. When I worked the ride in the 60's, we had to stick to the script that Walt Disney had written and often had folks riding along for quality control and to see if we deviated. Grad nights were the times when skippers fell off the wagon and ad libed like crazy. I understand that there is some latitude now for skippers to be spontaneous. To me, the ride is still a classic and well worth going on.

O nice! I love Jurassic Park! When I was reading your second paragraph I thought well that was a nice twist on it. But I totally didn't expect the Sam Neill part lol. Id say its a win cause the joke was on you :D

Hahaha thats great. You shoulda grabbed a line and pretended to be electrocuted after that.

that's an epic win! you should have told them to all sit still since the ducks vision is based on movement, lol

definitely a win. I would have gotten a pic too. Although you might have gotten terminated for harassing the guests? Still would have been cool to get though

Win- Win! high five! That's great! Too funny!

It's a SMALL WORLD after all..............See how I did that ?

The Jungle Cruise was one of my favorite rides in the late 50's...Just showing my age I guess...Good times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast