Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Groove in spinning reel line roller

Default Groove in spinning reel line roller

I didn't do much trout fishing until this spring and summer, when I started going two or three times a week. I have two reels used for throwing spoons and spinners, and both got used a lot. Today I noticed both had grooves cut in the line roller (I'm using 4 lb Stren line). Both rollers turn freely and the grooves run all around the roller. I only paid about $25 for each reel so I don't think it would be worth trying to find new rollers and will be buying new, more expensive reels.

Is there something I should specifically look for in the new reels to prevent this problem in the future, or does it just happen when a reel is used to throw lures 3-4 hours a day 2 times a week? Both these reels had 4 ball bearings, but none were in the line roller mechanism.

Thanks

hmmm that's interesting.

but with a reel that only put you back 25 buck you are guaranteed that the materials used are not very good quality. so i would say yes that is the product of throwing lures a lot. im sure upgrading the quality of your reels will fix this problem.

also mad props on the hard core fishing to wear a grove in your reel that's some serious time on the water