Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perris..The beat Goes on.. part 2!!!

Yeah that would be a rush...But its not worth being out in the middle of the lake on a tube.. There are too many clowns out there that dont pay attention when they are driving their boats..and accidents can happen.. Thats all Im saying...
    Tight lines

Pete

Yea pete.. your right.. once me and james were fishing the south shore n 2 jet ski's were chasing each other. long story short the girl in the front slowed waaay down and the person chasing her didnt notice and BOOM. it was the worse scream ive EVER heard.. its not worth losing your life over. wear brite colors n stay away from the middle of the lake on your tube..

No problem from me. When I go out past the bouys at Bernasconi, I feel lie I'm out in dangerous territory, and I don't stay out there very long. Actually the bouys don't mean a darn thing to some of the idiots that drive those PWCs, and really the State needs to put more bouys out there... space them closer together and post warning signs on them.
    Hey Pete, do you have any problems releasing bass that are caught from deep water? I've caught Bluegill from 35-40 FOW that I've had to keep.

You have to "Fizz" the bass if you release from that depth to make sure they can get down again. I have had a few that "Float" if not fizzed.

No I dont usually have a problem with them because I take precautions like reeling up these deep bass slowly, If they dont look like they are doing good Ill put them in the livewell with some "reguvinate" or "stay alive" for a little while, and I always Fizz them.. It only takes about 20 seconds and helps them out alot. All that being said...Sometimes no matter what you do to prevent losing fish, one here or there wont make it..
    The needle I use is the "Bends Mender". They can probably be purchased at Anglers Marine, Last Chance Bait and Tackle and/or Bass pro Shops.. Its important to have one or two with you at all times when fishing deep.

Pete

Hey Pete, curious, did you use the side fin air release method or down the throat? It's easier going through the mouth, but there's plenty of discussion about harming the basses more via the throat than the lateral puncture. From what I can gather, lateral puncturing not only allow quick healing and avoid vital organs, but also the muscles will reinforce reinflation of the bladder with difficulties. I'm not a fish, so, I can't give definite answers.

I go through the Mouth. Ive never had a problem with hitting any "Internal organs". If its done correctly, its quick and easy and not harmful to the bass and its a direct hit every time.

Pete

Pete, what size weights do you use to drop shot in 40+ ft of water?

I use 1/4 oz weights 99% of the time. If its windy I go up one size...

But 1/4 is perfect most of the time if you have sensitive rods (Im a Dobyn's guy) and a really good flouro carbon.

Pete

I'd have thought to use 1/2 + to be fishing that deep to get it down faster on the d.s. Haven't done a much dropshot, usually go to the C-rig for that depth, I'll have to try the d/s more. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast