Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Who uses a Hatcam mount while float tubing?

Default Who uses a Hatcam mount while float tubing?

I've seen setups where a camera mount is incorporated into your rodholder system, but that doesn't appeal to me. I like the Hatcam mount I saw, and would like to get feedback from anyone who has used it.

I too have seen guys with a nice camera set up on their FTs, because struggling to get a camera out of a zip lock bag, which is in a zippered pocket, while a hooked fish is flopping around splashing water everywhere, including on your camera, is not a good thing. A little camera attached to the hat, which I've seen somewhere, is a very nice idea.

Do you have a camera yet or looking to get a set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Do you have a camera yet or looking to get a set-up?
    Haven't bought anything yet. Right now I'm just trying to get some feedback from others who have used a hatcam.

check out gopro.com

Suggestion: float tube should have a PVC with a 1/2" adapter to a 1/4" female, and purchase a nice flex arm to holder any camera/camcorder with a 10" to 24" flex arm height. Here's a link for you if you don't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-237-...=2NC62A7AW1Y6M

There are many other manufacturer, but this should give you an approach to think about. I wouldn't go with the hat cam, since it will get heavy on your head after a while, and the likely chance that you drop that in the water is EXTREMELY high. I'm one of the victim. Lost 3 cams for poor setups both on hats and mounted to tube.

If you are mounting to the tube, make sure the camera is at a reachable height or length away from you. On top of that, invest in a $25 waterproof camera pouch, similar to the one from DiCapac. If you want to mount it directly on the flex arm, you have to sacrifice the pouch by punching a small hole at the bottom if it. Seal the bag to the flex arm's base with some superglue, and waterproof sealant around the both sides of the pouch's puncture area. Cure it for 48 hours before use.

If you have an old camera stand/tripod, rig it by sawing the camera holding base off the stand, and slap it onto a 1/2" PVC pipe, roughly 2 feet tall. Now, you can attach it the tube however you like: over your shoulders, to the sides, the front, the back, etc.

The reason I wanted to go with a hatcam was because I don't like having a clunky PVC mounting setup. But I'll have to think about which type of setup I want to use.

Understandable. Just make sure your hat can support the weight of the good camera..or mediocre spycam version. They do sale hats that have a built in camera screw-in base for about $25, with a nice solid tier support up to about 8oz. Might want to think about that. However..make sure you have the hat strapped to your noggin or say bye-bye to hat and cam if those who falls into the water.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I certainly wouldn't want to lose the camera overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside_angler View Post
    check out gopro.com
    DITTO...... All the rage right now, work excellent...