Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the dreaded DOUBLE SKUNK today...

Default Got the dreaded DOUBLE SKUNK today...

Decided to check out Downey since DFG just stocked this week. Got there at about 8:30 and there was only one other guy fishing. I threw in my stink bait and let it soak and while I was setting up my 2nd pole some lady came by and told me that the lake had a die off during the week and there was no fish in the lake. After about 30 minutes I figured she was right. Not even a bite for such a small lake. I tried the smaller lake on the right and got the same result. I did see some fish stuck in a large pool as I was driving in. Got trapped in the rain I guess.

Left there around 9:30 and headed over to Ralph B. Fished a SPRO frog on the lily pads for a little bit. Got checked by DFG. Said you can only have one pole in the water at a time Oh well in hindsight it probably wouldn't even have mattered. Fished around the lake for a bit then the DFG lady told me to go check out the area by the amphitheater. She was on the money as there was 4-5 huge bass just hanging out in the shade. They would not bite on anything though Threw a rat-l-trap, 2 different super spots, shim-e-stick, x-raps, frogs, couple spinners and jigs but nada. The lures were only a couple inches away from the fish too. Bummer! Left a little after 12.

Last edited by white belt; 11-05-2011 at 02:13 PM.

I was at Ralph b yesterday, right after the rain. Lots of big bass in there, but no luck with me as well, throwing plastics.

regarding the ampitheater, are u talking about that tree that hangs over the water? or the little pond thats behind the little bridge area
    Last edited by djkim1; 11-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Same here started at laguna and ended at Ralph b, left at 8:15

I honestly think that skunks are to be expected these days with the city lakes.. or thats how it is for me. How I wish I lived near big lakes like Perris...

I 2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by djkim1 View Post
    I was at Ralph b yesterday, right after the rain. Lots of big bass in there, but no luck with me as well, throwing plastics.

regarding the ampitheater, are u talking about that tree that hangs over the water? or the little pond thats behind the little bridge area
    They were a little bit out from that tree. About 20ft in front of that last bench before that dock area you cant fish on.

And yes i wish i lived by Perris or dvl... I really want to try going for striper.

I think with the weather all messed up we all will be taking a skunk here and there. As the water cools off you gotta fish slower.. After these city lakes start getting their trout, the bite should pick back up again. Just my .02
    I was tossing a Spro 4" shad at ralph b last week and literally hitting those 3-4 pounders in the head on the retrieve and they still wouldn't bite. I was trying to piss them off to the point they would strike, but they just swam away..

Sorry to hear all you guys getting skunked at Ralph B. I fish that lake all the time and the bass bite has just been brutal lately to all the fisherman. I know some of you guys are bass or nothing and thats cool. But if your willing to fish for whatever is biting, Ralph B. is off the hook for catfish. We went last night and caught 15 in under two hours of fishing. Tonight is the last night the park closes at 9:00 p.m. So if any body wants to catch some catfish, just show up tonight and I'll hook you up. What do you look like you might be wondering? That's easy, I probablly will be the only one there. If not look for the dumb looking white guy, fishing with a bobber with a catfish on his cap. (LOL)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-06-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Sorry to hear all you guys getting skunked at Ralph B. I fish that lake all the time and the bass bite has just been brutal lately to all the fisherman. I know some of you guys are bass or nothing and thats cool. But if your willing to fish for whatever is biting, Ralph B. is off the hook for catfish. We went last night and caught 15 in under two hours of fishing. Tonight is the last night the park closes at 9:00 p.m. So if any body wants to catch some catfish, just show up tonight and I'll hook you up. What do you look like you might be wondering? That's easy, I probablly will be the only one there. If not look for the dumb looking white guy, fishing with a bobber with a catfish on his cap. (LOL)
    I had my 2nd pole setup for cats but I couldnt have both in the water. I soaked a bunch of stink bait too.

Quote Originally Posted by white belt View Post
    I had my 2nd pole setup for cats but I couldnt have both in the water. I soaked a bunch of stink bait too.
    The catfish in these local ponds tend to sit in what I call postage stamp spot. Miss the spot by just a few feet and you won't get bit. They do tend to roam around alot more at night, so your casting is not as critical as it is in the daytime. As for getting checked by the DFG it was more likely a park ranger. That one pole stuff at Clark, even though it is enforceable is pure nonesense. Clark is a nice lake to fish you just got to know the ins and outs of it. PM me if you want more information about the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast