Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apollo park Fishing Derby

Default Apollo park Fishing Derby

Apollo park fishing Derby is coming up soon Nov 5th.

The adult competition will be from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday at Apollo Park, 4555 W. Ave. G. Fifty percent of all derby receipts will be awarded in cash prizes; the other half goes to pay for trout for the youth derby.

Tickets are $15 in advance by Friday and $20 on derby day. Registration will begin at 6 a.m. at the entrance gates to the park.

Anglers must be 16 or older and carry a valid fishing license. Minors ages 16 and 17 must be accompanied by a parent to collect prize money.

In the Antelope Valley, tickets can be purchased at George Lane Park, 5520 W. Ave. L-8, Quartz Hill; Karen's Kitchen #2, 840 W. Palmdale Blvd; and Karen's Kitchen #3, 235 W. Ave. K, Lancaster.

Apollo Park will be closed to the public one week before derby day for stocking of fish. For information, please contact Jeff Dorst at (661) 257-4014 .
    Last edited by sumojo; 10-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.

So that will be the first stocking this year then they will do it bi weekly right?

Default Re: Apollo Derby

Guys and Gals
    If going to the derby I'd suggest using nothing but big baits....either lures or plastics and not just PB or nightcrawlers.
    Last years derby they paid the 10 biggest fish and I got 9th place with a 5.1 lb trout caught with a CD5 Brook Trout Rapala, which paid out $120.
    Other big fish were mostly caught on plastic worms and lures and only a couple on baits.
    Won't say which lake and where they were caught, but if they plant the same size fish as last years derby, chances of a 7 lber picking up a small chunk of PB will be very rare if a 3 to 7 inch artificial bait is offered instead....
    Just sayin'.
    Good luck to anyone going, first place cash prize could be up well over $1000.
    TTFM

thanks for the tip this spring i went and used nothing but bait and caught nothing.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    Guys and Gals
    If going to the derby I'd suggest using nothing but big baits....either lures or plastics and not just PB or nightcrawlers.
    Last years derby they paid the 10 biggest fish and I got 9th place with a 5.1 lb trout caught with a CD5 Brook Trout Rapala, which paid out $120.
    Other big fish were mostly caught on plastic worms and lures and only a couple on baits.
    Won't say which lake and where they were caught, but if they plant the same size fish as last years derby, chances of a 7 lber picking up a small chunk of PB will be very rare if a 3 to 7 inch artificial bait is offered instead....
    Just sayin'.
    Good luck to anyone going, first place cash prize could be up well over $1000.
    TTFM
    btw will kastmasters work. I seen a guy catching on a pather martins and thomas bouyants

Fish-O
    Those lures will work, but at the derby you want to use big baits to catch the bigger fish, or have better chance of catching a bigger fish, IMO.
    Or......use a size 0/2 treble hook with a golfball sized hunk of PB
    TTFM
    Last edited by Trout-Tuna-For.Me; 10-23-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Fish-O
    Those lures will work, but at the derby you want to use big baits to batch the bigger fish, or have better chance of catching a bigger fish, IMO.
    TTFM
    do you know how deep apollo parks lakes are. i cant imagine them being more than like 20 feet probably 30 tops and thats pushing it.

If I remember correctly at this derby your only allowed to use one rod correct?
    Hey Trout tuna for me what is a 0/2 hook? I know you meant 2/0 I'm just messin with you.

Fish-O
    Those lures will work, but at the derby you want to use big baits to catch the bigger fish, or have better chance of catching a bigger fish, IMO.
    TTFM
    Big Baits don't always catch Big Fish !!!! Don't always believe what hear.... I've placed a few times in this derby..... I will say artificials definitely outfish powerbait... with that said, someone always makes the board fishing with powerbait.... Fish how you fish best!!! Confidence is key... Hope to see you guys there!!! Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNLIC View Post
    Big Baits don't always catch Big Fish !!!! Don't always believe what hear.... I've placed a few times in this derby..... I will say artificials definitely outfish powerbait... with that said, someone always makes the board fishing with powerbait.... Fish how you fish best!!! Confidence is key... Hope to see you guys there!!! Good Luck
    AMEN BROTHER! When fishes know they don't have much food to rely on, and what ever being tossed into the lake appears edible, they will jump the gun to grab it. I stay far away from powerbaits now. Expensive, kill fishes, and destroy pretty much the water habitats that we fish in. Take a bit of time, use Velvetta cheese, mold it the size of the largest corn size, and if you want it to float, add a bit of cork's powder/fine into the cheese bait as 40/60 in weight ratio for ultra slow sink presentation, or 25/75 weight ratio and you have a floating cheese cork. More powerful than powerbaits.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast