Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Duct for only an Hour Skunk!

I did night fishing like 2xs this year. But last time i was at the duct it was still recovering from its pea soup coloration. Pumps were on full blast but i dont think those suckers have been off since like '09 to be honest. I sorta figured out kinda how these fish bite in the duct as in what conditions theyll bite. Its just those fish are picky and wont just take everything. Plus the duct is big so switching spots often is definitely good advice for fishing the duct.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yolo View Post
    I did say it literally fell off a cliff mid last week. I did skunk a couple of times and even skunked on catfish, which I have never had happen in all my duct years when targeting them. A diabetic friend of my parents, who I have not seen in ages, was saying she loved fish and I told her I would get her some. Well that go to/never fail/100%/automatic, skunk buster catfish tricks of mine did not even work so something really was up. I must say I was and am still shocked and humbled by it. It took decades but I can no longer say I can catch a catfish at will. The end of an era, lol. When even the kitties shut down, something is up.

Good news is that it is turning cause I got some micro stripers to play this morning. Threw them all back. They all will hopefully be on the chew again.
    don't forget, TWO of us skunked that day.....with good bait...several lures...and several spots...and, there was bait fish everywhere...so that's TWICE as bad!
    damn fish! i'm still pissed about that outing, lol
    although, i'm pretty sure we stumbled upon a good technique with the bait though. i'll get some more bait for next time, lol

yeah....i fished off ave. S today for about 2 hours till sundown...not a single fish in sight. super clear water and it was moving pretty slow, LOTS of salad...

ZipperWurm, I got 2 pretty quick this morning in your neck of the woods. The first one hit my lure 4 times on the same retrieve before I finally nailed it. 2nd one hit four casts later. I also saw a big one cruise out from the depths and just slowly swim up flow and go down deep again. Water is still super clear and it wasn't even spooked but I could not get it to bite. Lost a DD kitty too right at the edge as it flopped around at a ladder and broke off.

Lucky Lager, It seems to have turned on again. We can't always get them

Quote Originally Posted by yolo View Post
    ZipperWurm, I got 2 pretty quick this morning in your neck of the woods. The first one hit my lure 4 times on the same retrieve before I finally nailed it. 2nd one hit four casts later. I also saw a big one cruise out from the depths and just slowly swim up flow and go down deep again. Water is still super clear and it wasn't even spooked but I could not get it to bite. Lost a DD kitty too right at the edge as it flopped around at a ladder and broke off.

Lucky Lager, It seems to have turned on again. We can't always get them
    hmm funny you should say that. i was just out there and ran into a guy that said someone was out there fishing with lures and saw a 10+ pounder come up and go back down, maybe he was referring to you? i decided to give the lures a rest and try the "walk the liver" technique...even that didnt show me love, i can;t win lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZipperWurm View Post
    hmm funny you should say that. i was just out there and ran into a guy that said someone was out there fishing with lures and saw a 10+ pounder come up and go back down, maybe he was referring to you? i decided to give the lures a rest and try the "walk the liver" technique...even that didnt show me love, i can;t win lol
    Maybe? Could have been someone else that saw one too? I don't ever recall seeing so many stripers near the edge as I have the past couple of months. For the longest time, I was hooking up just several feet out from the edge but the water was not clear then. I guess they were still there just not visible like now.

Yeah the drift that has never failed me before and some other techniques that never failed before failed me too recently like I previously posted.

yea, i had to go to the surf to wash off the skunk smell from that day, lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12