Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Perris Lake 10/14 Jetski Ramp Redear Expedition

Is it true they'll eat bacon? I'll be sure to bring some cheese, bread and nibblets as well. Thanks Lefty.

Trout and Catfish will eat bacon. Bluegills probably will too, and Mackerel, not that you'll catch any Mackerel at Perris. Bluegills usually like anything that's meaty. Trout like cheese of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bluegills or Catfish bite on it too. Vegetable eating fish such as Carp go for bread, but I have seen people catch Bluegills on bread too.

The Bluegills at Perris usually go for Crickets, Mealworms or grubs the best, though, but also bite on worms while Redears prefer worms but sometimes bite on the Crickets, Mealworms or grubs.

When they are aggressively feeding on stuff like minnows or baby bass they Bluegills and Redears go for crappie jigs, and when they are feeding on flies on the surface they go for anything that looks remotely close to a mosquito or midge. When they are subsurface feeding on stuff like insect larvae or shrimp, sometimes they bite well on wet flies if you find a pattern they like.

Of course, the Crappies there like jigs but they are hard to catch from shore or docks. Nonetheless, my wife or I sometimes catch one or two incidentally on worms while fishing for Bluegills and Redears, and I also caught one using a bobber and fly technique last fall while fishing for Bluegills. They also love shad straight from the lake if you can get them. The only legal way to use shad in this region is to catch them from the lake with a dip net, but people were doing that a lot this spring at the marina when the shad were thick there. Trout and Bass were also biting on them.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-17-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Lefty is dead on with his description. Man, you are such an observant man.

Tried mackerel, and every thing bites, but only during early morning and late afternoon to evening. Can't say the same for carp. They like sourdough, bready materials.

Lake Perris and Gregory gills, trouts, and small basses love crickets, slow sink presentation using a 1/32oz jig head. Large basses, nope. Dropshot the crickets, and cats will hunt them. Gills will yank your crickets like monsters at Perris. Grubs, can't say I've witnessed it in the past since I can't seem to find some around here..Robert, share?

Guys, raise your hands if you've caught 3 or more types of fishes with crank, hard, and swimbaits resembled minnows and shads? Troll with them, or flip them along shore, and you'll see. Early hours, or 2 hours before sunset. They will hammer your baits.

Forgot something, trouts love Velvetta cheese bait, infused with garlic powder, equal amount of salt to garlic, olive oil mixed in, and add a hit of fresh ground dried shrimps or anchovies. Holy molly, they won't let go of your hook even though they know they got caught. Locked jaws mode. Same goes with cats. They will smell the bait, and will come screaming. However, these is only successful during winter period. Tried it during springs and early summer, no love what so ever. Velvetta cheese alone will do the trick. Slip float rigs for trouts, Texas rig for cats.
    Last edited by TheAsianGuy; 10-17-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Lefty is dead on with his description. Man, you are such an observant man.

Tried mackerel, and every thing bites, but only during early morning and late afternoon to evening. Can't say the same for carp. They like sourdough, bready materials.

Lake Perris and Gregory gills, trouts, and small basses love crickets, slow sink presentation using a 1/32oz jig head. Large basses, nope. Dropshot the crickets, and cats will hunt them. Gills will yank your crickets like monsters at Perris. Grubs, can't say I've witnessed it in the past since I can't seem to find some around here..Robert, share?

Guys, raise your hands if you've caught 3 or more types of fishes with crank, hard, and swimbaits resembled minnows and shads? Troll with them, or flip them along shore, and you'll see. Early hours, or 2 hours before sunset. They will hammer your baits.

Forgot something, trouts love Velvetta cheese bait, infused with garlic powder, equal amount of salt to garlic, olive oil mixed in, and add a hit of fresh ground dried shrimps or anchovies. Holy molly, they won't let go of your hook even though they know they got caught. Locked jaws mode. Same goes with cats. They will smell the bait, and will come screaming. However, these is only successful during winter period. Tried it during springs and early summer, no love what so ever. Velvetta cheese alone will do the trick. Slip float rigs for trouts, Texas rig for cats.
    i have hook bluegill trout redear bass and other on hard bait before

I hardly ever use "hardbaits" such as crankbaits, but I have caught a surprising number of species on Kastmasters, including Bluegills, Crappies, Green Sunfish, plus Bass and Trout. I wouldn't be surprised if all of those same species and more were caught on hardbaits.

I forgot to mention about French Fries last time. A lot of species like the oil in them. I heard it on good authority that they are a hot trout bait in some circles. I did see a man catch a carp on a french fry. I think catfish would go for them too. My nephews and I used some extra french fries at Oceanside Pier one time, and caught several Mackerel with them.

I have also found that peas can catch a lot of ocean speicies, at least. Bluegills would probably bite on them too. They are pretty indiscriminate feeders at times.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.

French fries..oh, the wholesome goodness of a fatty foods. If the foods don't kill us directly, feed them to the fishes and kill ourselves indirectly..haahahahahahah. But yes, carps love them as much as trouts. My boy did that once and snagged a small 6" trout, since it acted like a floating powerbait when it was freshly fried. Once the oil thicken, it will sink. Cat's bait then.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I hardly ever use "hardbaits" such as crankbaits, but I have caught a surprising number of species on Kastmasters, including Bluegills, Crappies, Green Sunfish, plus Bass and Trout. I wouldn't be surprised if all of those same species and more were caught on hardbaits.

I forgot to mention about French Fries last time. A lot of species like the oil in them. I heard it on good authority that they are a hot trout bait in some circles. I did see a man catch a carp on a french fry. I think catfish would go for them too. My nephews and I used some extra french fries at Oceanside Pier one time, and caught several Mackerel with them.

I have also found that peas can catch a lot of ocean speicies, at least. Bluegills would probably bite on them too. They are pretty indiscriminate feeders at times.
    I actually store some of my soft plastics in vegetable oil, but some brands dont store well this way, namely Luck-E-Strike bass worms, I placed some motoroil red worms in vegetable oil, and it leeched the green color out.

Yessiree, I tell you, Leo, fish love their fatty foods. It smells good to them as it signifies high calorie yummies. Better yet, the french fries float before the oil hardens, so you can use it like power bait, floating it off the bottom. Of course, it doesn't work with all species, but any fish which likes the smell of fat will find deep fried french fries appealing. If they eat enough french fries, they will get a nice oily Omega 3 quality to them, which being fish oil, might actually be good for us (not sure about that -- you could be correct about the artery clogging qualities of fish given a french fry diet).

Your little boy already provides proof that french fries work for trout, but I heard (but haven't seen) that they catch large holdover type trout too. Next time I go trout fishing, I will seriously consider buying some french fries, eating about half of them and using the rest for bait.

Smokehound, it totally makes sense to store plastics in vegetable oil to enhance their scent, except that the oil might leech out some of the colors.

Going to Perris on Saturday (I think). I'll make sure to bring some fries haha

Robert, don't exclude the curly fries from Burger King. For some weird reason, using a bobber with that curly fry can land you a nice trout, and a few panfishes. The regular fries have plenty of salt to attract the fishes, but the fat surely brings them the happy faces.

Oh, by the way, James and the DFG shocking crew discovered perches and flathead cats in Lake Perris. PERCHES! Forget the flatheads. DUDE! Those fishes are freaking delicious, and the grubs you find in your compost pile will nail them. So, time to venture out with Anthony, Jeff, or the boys with a spare tube, and hammer those panfishes, and perches. OOOOOOOOoooo..I'm so freaking excited. No wonder those Perris basses, carps, and cats are pigs. They have tons of good small fishes to eat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast