Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Curado Type J - JDM Reel

Default Shimano Curado Type J - JDM Reel

I need a new inshore reel to pair with my two Phenix Inshore Assassins. I want a lower profile reel and I prefer to stick with Shimano, so I'm thinking of getting this Curado that I've never seen before. It's the Curado Type J, the 300HJ to be exact. Do any of you have any experience with this reel, or at least any knowledge of it? It has about 14.3 pounds of drag, 6.9:1 ratio, and comes in left hand. It's been around for a few years and I can't find anything negative about it, but I can't find much positive either. There's not much about it online, at least in English.

Also comes in a 6.2:1 ratio (the 300J) which for some reason is all blue instead of gold/blue:

I was considering the Curado 300EJ, but honestly... and I know this is stupid... I don't like the green color.

Anyway, if you got any info on this reel I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, before you recommend other reels to me, I live in Thailand and due to Thailand's strict (a.k.a. corrupt) customs and taxation system, I can't order anything from outside Thailand to be shipped into Thailand, or I could be faced with a 100% tax rate. Assuming I even receive my package. So, my choice in fishing gear is limited to what Thai stores carry. Luckily there's a decent fishing shop with an online store in Bangkok that has a few nicer reels. They even carry Phenix Rods!

diawa zilion inshore would probly be better, i love shimano but these are proven and even boast 24lbs of drag.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    diawa zilion inshore would probly be better, i love shimano but these are proven and even boast 24lbs of drag.
    dammit vanillagurilla... read the last paragraph they don't carry the zillion inshores...

Those are indeed nice. No experinece using them but I'm sure they perform. Only thing i would say is make sure you consider repairs and maintenance. Meaning make sure you have a resource take care of them in case you come across any issues. Getting JDM parts can be a b****

I assume those will be used in salt so maintenance will be key to keeping them running smooth.
    Last edited by tailchaser001; 10-11-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Those are some nice looking reels! Do they have an equivlent to the 300e? Just the regular handle instead of the power jig handle? You can't have anthing shipped in, but can you ship stuff (reels) out?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_fish'r View Post
    Those are some nice looking reels! Do they have an equivlent to the 300e? Just the regular handle instead of the power jig handle? You can't have anthing shipped in, but can you ship stuff (reels) out?
    There's the Curado 200J on this website that has the regular handle. http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/p...217903aee257ab It's a little bit smaller than the 300J. Plat.co.jp is Japanese, and I'd trust that much more than Thailand, import or export.

The J in JDM reels usually designates vertical jigging/bay jigging models that aren't meant to be cast. I'm pretty sure they don't have breaks because you're just meant to drop your jig straight down.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    The J in JDM reels usually designates vertical jigging/bay jigging models that aren't meant to be cast. I'm pretty sure they don't have breaks because you're just meant to drop your jig straight down.
    They have brakes.

You're probably thinking of the Bay Game Type G.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    They have brakes.

You're probably thinking of the Bay Game Type G.
    That's it... I knew one of the JDM curados wasn't meant for casting/retrieving.

Go for the 300J then, should be a great reel!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    That's it... I knew one of the JDM curados wasn't meant for casting/retrieving.

Go for the 300J then, should be a great reel!
    Scared me for a sec cause I was just about to order it ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast