Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: any one know of a good spot to fly fish by la quinta CA 92253

Default any one know of a good spot to fly fish by la quinta CA 92253

looking to go fly fishing after buying all the stuff on vacation in WA but don't know my own back yard vary well and was wondering if any one knows where i could go to fly fish for trout or bass.

try Lake Cahuilla for stripers and bass should be fun on light gear,first trout stock in lake will be Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by fullstringer View Post
    try Lake Cahuilla for stripers and bass should be fun on light gear,first trout stock in lake will be Nov.
    + 1 above
    Or if you can your local golf course. Hard to decide on the golf course huh? so many out there. I use to see a lot of homeowners hit the lakes in the evenings after the last player goes by. Some of them have a lot of rentals, (condos) and if you can get in the gate and anyone ask, I am Renting for the weekend.......Might help to dress like a golfer and not a fisherman
    I would also avoid eating anything from them.

There is also Hemet and a couple of creeks up in Idyllwild. All about an hours drive.

If you go up to Idyllwild, forget about creeking. Many have had fish removed because of the frog and all are pretty technical water for a beginner fly fisher. You'd spend your time frustrated by catching the thick brush and no fish. I would suggest lake hemet. Pretty little lake....stocked...has bass, bluegill, cats, carp and of course, trout. Rent a boat and explore the shoreline. You will have a lot more fun not having to worry about your back cast every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    If you go up to Idyllwild, forget about creeking. Many have had fish removed because of the frog and all are pretty technical water for a beginner fly fisher. You'd spend your time frustrated by catching the thick brush and no fish. I would suggest lake hemet. Pretty little lake....stocked...has bass, bluegill, cats, carp and of course, trout. Rent a boat and explore the shoreline. You will have a lot more fun not having to worry about your back cast every time.
    Viejo, what is the 411 on this frog because I remember they stopped stocking Fulmor with trout. This yr they stocked fulmor and Strawberry creek?

I say Lake Cahuilla, only 6 bucks to get in, and it's in La Quinta. Heck...I might even go check it out this weekend.