Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Water Quest Excursion 10' Fishing Kayak

Default Water Quest Excursion 10' Fishing Kayak

Hey all, i have been looking around at different kayaks and i saw the "Water Quest Excursion 10' fishing kayak" ( http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family )

Can anyone more experienced in kayaking tell me if this a good one or a death trap?

Thanks!

-P

I'm not a fan of Sit In kayaks, but then again I fish the salt. If you're just fishing small lakes you'll be fine although there doesn't seem to be much room for gear storage in a 10'.

Remember, even though the yak is on the cheap side, you're still looking at another 300$ to get it going (if you go the cheap route and no fish finder). Might be best to pick up a used yak thats fully loaded for ~600$ and name brand
    Last edited by Swank909; 10-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.

I plan on mainly fishing the castaic lagoon. In my float tube i only have one plano 3600 box for tackle and 3 rods, so i'm not too worried about storage.

Would you mind giving me an idea of what i need to get it going?

Thanks again!

Heres an old post with some good info
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ighlight=kayak

and theres a link in that post with even more info on setting up you Kayak

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/kayakrigging

Great! thanks a ton! this really helps

-P

Off the top of my head you'll need a quality paddle, life jacket, tackle / rod storage, fish finder, quality battery, possibly an anchor or anchor trolley set up, waterproof skirt for the sit inside.

Also I dont see a weight capacity posted for the Water Quest, and 10' is reaaaaally small. Sit insides are a pain in the a** if you flip and fall out and not very comfortable to fish from.

If you get a chance you should visit OEX in Sunset Beach, I think they let you try out w/e kayaks they have available for like 15$ for 3 hours (call them first to make sure). The best way to find a kayak you like is to try them all, horrible to drop so much money and be stuck with something you hate.

I've been kayak fishing for some 4 years and I can say get a good quality kayak. Get something with credibility/ name brand such as a Ocean Kayak, Malibu, Hobie, and maybe Cobra (been seeing a lot of repair threads on them) Be sure to remember, the pro and cons on sit on tops and sit in kayaks. I personally pre fer sit on tops kayak, ease of entering and exit. Ease of going in the water for a quick cool down splash, and just ease of rinsing off blood from a bloody fish, try that with a sit in you'll be marinating with the blood in your sit in kayak. Be aware when buying a kayak by itself, you will need the essentials; paddle ($50-100), comfortable seat ($75-100), and life jacked $40. Do the math, work with your budget, buy your kayak dump the tube. Or keep it for the hard to get ponds and lakes in mammoth. Kayaking is much more enjoyable compared to tube fishing in my experience.

Check out this post:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...buying-a-kayak

My 2 cents, I have a short torso and being in a sit-inside the rim would be right at my ribs. I would have to reach over the rim to paddle, without a rudder, causing the kayak to move in a zig-zag patten, it f'n sucked.

Another important piece of equipment you will need, wheels. For when you can't drive up to the waters edge and unload, for those days when the launch ramp is too busy and there's a dozen boats in front of you and most important of all, for those days when the wind blows you into the next zip code and you have to walk your kayak back to the car.