Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perris Lake 10/7 Sail Cove Pier with Onemore

Quote Originally Posted by SirBluegill View Post
    Yes I was tubing near the dam, I could see steam coming off the water early morning. I got a few bites deep 20 ft plus but a vast majority of the action was in shallow water 12 ft. I caught a couple 9 inch plus gills and several 7- 8's. I released the large gills and gave the smaller ones to an asain couple on the shore. They had some nice sized redears, using redworms. heres some pics

http://bigbluegill.com/photo/albums/lake-perris-oct-08
    Did you tag team with Jeff during your day out or another fellow tuber? Two photos look really early in the morning (6:30?).

We hit the water by 7:45 and got home around 1 ish, only live 8 miles away from the lake. Didn't get any gills till we fished shallow (around 11:30) and it was one every five mins. Had to leave by then so I ended up with 7 gills with many stolen crickets as well :). I tag team with my Dad.

Hey Robert did you see anyone catching any trout? I read they stocked the lake this week don't know where. I caught a few on snap beans this past spring from that pier.
    Last edited by SirBluegill; 10-09-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Are people still driving down to the water's edge in Sail Cove to unload their gear, then driving back up to park in the parking lot? I may float tube here this week if the Bluegill are still biting and I don't want to carry all my stuff all the way down to the lake and back up. I have not 'tubed in this spot in a couple years.

I didn't know lake Perris opened at 6 lol! And btw nice fishing out there at lkeast mr. Skunk ran away

I think it's awesome that I found this web site everyone here is really nice people and fun to fish with . sublimesteve ,head case,Eric,everyone I've met really cool peeps aloha all my fellow fnners nice story lefty I love it

Bra you can drive down to the water and drop off all your da kind den drop of da car in da parking lot no worries

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Are people still driving down to the water's edge in Sail Cove to unload their gear, then driving back up to park in the parking lot? I may float tube here this week if the Bluegill are still biting and I don't want to carry all my stuff all the way down to the lake and back up. I have not 'tubed in this spot in a couple years.
    Hey Jeff, just watch out for shoreliners overloaded with testosterone. Tubing too close to shore will get them all antsy, and they will surely spill out some major waves of profanity for roaming their claimed territory. But yeah, you can practically drive to the water's edge, unload, drive to parking lot, and get into the water. I did it once for the heavy toon, but I rather roll it off the ramp. A bit of work, but worth the saving of strength from rowing like crazy.

Yeah Leo, I hear you about the guys with 3 oz weights. If I go here, it will be out near the canyon drop off and along the face of the dam. Just thought I'd try the jig/cricket combo that has been so deadly at other areas of the lake here at my old spot where I first started float tubing. Might be a bunch of big sunfish just waiting to be caught!

You know what, red head jigs with yellow skirts have always been a meal ticket there for me too. I can't seem to attract them with yellow head jig and worm combo for some reason. Not sure if it still work but #8 or #10 baithooks with crickets still work in the past, but my tuber-boys can't seem hook them for the past 3 weeks. Not sure what they did wrong, but you can surely proof them wrong. Thanks to Anthony, the YoZuri beans with my Rapala X floaters nailed those gills quite fast when I hover those schools. But, gills are evading me, while basses are striking me faster while hunting for crappies and gills. Weird. Let us know how you do. Team up with Anthony, you guys will probably slay them. I'll be hunting for cats and carps in deeper water later this weekends. Found the spots for the cats, and the carps are hanging around them to forage. Got my stinkbaits ready for them both, and loading the heavy mono to compensate. I'm going to be seriously in trouble if they decide to take on both lines at the same time again.

By the way Steve and Seal, got my waterproof camera setup ready to go, and will be mounting it directly on the toon with a lifeline (just in case it falls into the water). Will give you guys some serious action videos next time around.

Anthony, the Bluegill with the light blue stripes is a most unusually colored one. I have never seen one like that. I have been catching some golden hued ones in the past year or so, at DVL and most recently at Lasselle Lake, but nothing like that. It resembles a surfperch more or less in coloration. Good job on the Bluegills with your dad. It's strange that I saw no Redears Friday, and it looks like you caught only Bluegills too, but the couple on the shore caught Redears. I historically have had very good success with Redears at Perris in the fall. Maybe soon they will bite more.

Juanmore told me that he caught a trout on a jig the day before, in fact. He said that they had just stocked small ones. That figures, since the storm cooled the lake down. I think they stock it with subcatchable trout every year just as the lake cools down. To me, the biggest decline in Perris since they lowered the water level is the trout fishing, which figures since they need the deep, cool water to thrive there. I doubt they survive year around like they used to. They do grow fast, so these little ones will be large by the spring, but the water used to be clearer which allowed tasty little crustaceans to grow among the vegetation, giving the trout pink, tasty meat. Now, they don't get pink meat as far as I can see, the water is murkier, they don't taste as good, and they are not as easy to catch. I used to catch large trout by the dam in July sometimes, before they lowered the water, believe it or not. Now, the trout disappear by the end of May pretty much.

Personally, I always park in Lot 1 and walk down to the pier when I fish there, but when I asked Juanmore as we were leaving, he said he was parked along the shore.

I use really small jigs a lot at Perris, without bait if they are working, or with bait if that's what it takes, but I just put bait on small hooks Friday. I am putting Yozuri Beans, Rapala X Floaters, and and Skeeter Lures on my list of lures to buy. My wife isn't here to complain about it at this time. Last time, she nixed the Skeeter idea.

By the way, it was actually a paternoster rig I had on the 6 pound pole, according to another thread. In any case, my wife is an expert with that rig for some reason. She probably would have been pulling them in one after another.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast