Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which harbor/bays are best for catching bugs?

Default which harbor/bays are best for catching bugs?

So I been reading that Long Beach might have some bugs.

* But what are some other bays/ harbors within 30 miles north and south of Long Beach?
    * Any place in those areas for launching a kayak or small dinghy for free?

Any info will help, thanks.

.........follow up by ................. 10/09/11 lobster report...stand by.
    Last edited by madmax951; 03-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Default rule of thumb.....

not to be a prune.... but find them, recon around , and keep all the legals within limits if u can catch them...... last week 1was controlled chaos out there... yaks skiffs boats etc... a net just about evry 5 ft even after u dropped urs down ; others will squeeze in btwn ur nets!!! when the wind and surf picked up a few bumps gonna be expected from u and ur neighbors out there.....be legit and hv all documentation ready .. DFG AND HARBOR PATROL out there doing what they gotta do... tons of shorts out there measure 2-3x if questionable size or face major fine$$$$ if mr dfg finds is short!... the "i wont tell my secret spot " is so 50 more guys dont show up to ur honey hole and likewise why not many posts or pics up here . also remember we have all this yr and till march to catch em.! good luck
    Last edited by BALLERONBUDGET; 10-08-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Your asking guys to give up locations on the www open to all ?
    Maybe ask for a PM in your post.

The internet is a great tool for learning but caution needs to be used.
    MLPA, Anti Fishing Crowds, DFG, Lurkers, Poachers, all use websites for info.
    Why did hoop netting get so huge in the last 8 years.

Example; 'The Lobster Card'.
    Did DFG get the info on so many hoopers the last
    8 years by visual sightings or the www ?
    Depends on species too. Surf Perch, mackerel, sand bass, ect are not such a big deal,
    but Sea Bass, Halibut, Lobster, Sharks, ect and other inshore tasty critters bring crowds.
    Most and SWAT team doesn't tell inshore locations.

In the 1960's 70's, 80's guys were more tight lipped and used telephones.
    2011 you have everything on your smart phone or pc/mac.

In 2008 Dana (RIP) Team 57 founder wrote;

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the support you give FISHING NETWORK and TEAM 57. I know I've said this many times before.... but it's the members that make FNN such a great place!

We've had debate after debate concerning "lurkers" and thread after thread concerning having an open or closed forum. Members on BOTH sides of the argument have made some very good points.

I DO understand the argument of how a highly viewed thread can impact a particular lake or a particular fishing spot if and when numerous detailed reports are shared.

In my opinion, the member who posts his or her report, always has the option of not sharing specifics along with location revealing photos. I for one am certainly capable of reporting my day on the water without giving up so much information that it will have an adverse impact on my particular spot.

IMO... its just a matter of using common sense.

Thank you Dana
    DR

Default Posting Trip Reports

I'm a co-moderator for another lobster board and this is what I put up about posting about your trips...
    "When I approached Jason about setting up this hooping forum we both felt, that for this board to be a success; those posting Lobster reports should be somewhat vague on the exact location of their trips. If you're setting up a hooping trip do it through e-mail or PM. Folks are smart enough to put 2+ 2 together and figure out where that last trip you reported on was, especially if you have been setting it up on the board for the last few days. For example instead of specificially naming the Dana Point breakwall just say your trip was to Orange County, or Santa Monica Bay, or Ventura/Santa Barbara, or San Diego County.
    Your reports don't have to be, just about the exact location and number of Bugs caught.
    Just as important as the location, are the conditions that your Bugs were caught in;
    Was the tide high or low ?
    Was the tide rising or dropping and how big was the tide change that night?
    What time did they start crawling...right at sunset or was it in the middle of the night just as you were ready to pack it up?
    What bait was working...fresh or smelly, was it the Salmon heads or the Macks?
    Was it rough and was the swell up or was it as flat as a lake out there?
    If you feel that the location is the most important info you are lacking, then PM or e-mail that hooper and wish for the best, but don't expect them to "give away the farm", and please, don't be upset with them for not giving away their Hot Spot.
    The last few years, it seems, that everytime someone posted about a particular area, it became very popular (crowded) for a short while or at least as long as folks were posting about how hot the area was.
    There are a lot of Lazy internet lurkers out there, both yakers and private boaters just waiting for someone to tell them when and where the Bug crawl is productive. This is OK for the fishing reports as God gave fish tails and they do move around and migrate, but with the Lobsters and Crabs they are very site specific and it's really easy to overcrowd and deplete a breakwall or harbor rather quickly.
    This forum shoud be a great place for newbees to ask questions and get info, for old pros to share their wealth of knowledge and for new products to be evaluated or for folks to express what changes might be needed on existing products.
    Jas and I will be monitoring the the site to try and keep the site specific information as Low Key as possible so the the crowds hopefully don't get too bad in any particular area due to reports...and if we are successful, maybe the locals won't try and sink our yaks!!!
    GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON!!!!!!!
    Jim / Saba Slayer

"I DO understand the argument of how a highly viewed thread can impact a particular lake or a particular fishing spot if and when numerous detailed reports are shared.

In my opinion, the member who posts his or her report, always has the option of not sharing specifics along with location revealing photos. I for one am certainly capable of reporting my day on the water without giving up so much information that it will have an adverse impact on my particular spot.

IMO... its just a matter of using common sense."

Some pretty good advice from Dana and all the rest. There are still those who don't believe the dramatic impact that a specific Internet fish/catch report can have on a location to the quality and quantity of fish being caught. That includes the diminished quality of the fishing experience itself. The impact has a life of it's own as the powerful search engines will dredge the report up for years to come.

::: get the full experience-play while you read :::

my [blood was pumping]..............

ty all... for the advise... but i neglected to read anything before i headed out...and this is how it turn out.........lights , kamera, action...................................

da trip: LOL i was so destine to go lobster fishing for the 1st time this season.... from YUCAIPA CA to MISSION BAY, San Diego... my homework of asking the FNN community and mostly other online investigation... had revealed the more south you go, the better the ideal conditions are for the roaches of the sea ARE... and that a secret society amongst us lays dormant.... to not only protect themselves..but over all "i" hope the environment.

da equipment: well friends, i am not wealthy but a happy entity to be given the chance to experience LIFE the way I have it.

* a 10' Avon
    * 6 hp Suzuki short shaft outboard
    * 2 Eclipse Promar nets

da trip there: my modifications to making a "made in china" utility trailer to modify in the STATES had heads turning ... light weight, structural sign, and ascetically pleasing... with some RUSTOLEUM paint job.

more 2 be continue......
    Last edited by madmax951; 04-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.

In regards to giving up spots. Take Dana's advice.
    Just be a good sportsman. I'm over fighting anti internet.
    Jim, I'm over beefing with you too, I'll never win.
    We have all learned how hoop netting has changed the last 10 years.

Have you ever talked to Bob Miestrel about so many of these old timer stories?
    These pre-internet 1900 to 1950's stories are getting lost as these old timers pass on.
    Documentation is good for future generations.
    Like old Indian chiefs telling stories to young Indians.

Jim, Please speak up if you feel any DR BS is written below.
    Your a Pro Hooper and input is good.
    Maybe a book on the history of So Cal Lobster ? $ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    [I] There are still those who don't believe the dramatic impact that a specific Internet fish/catch report can have on a location to the quality and quantity of fish being caught. That includes the diminished quality of the fishing experience itself. The impact has a life of it's own as the powerful search engines will dredge the report up for years to come.
    Lobsters aren't like Irvine lake Trout.

LMAO on no impact. In the 1920's to 1950's guys had trouble hauling sacks of
    lobster and abalone up the trails due to the excessive weight of the gunny sacks.
    My old boss in 1980 told stories how many 8 to 15 pound lobsters there were COMMON.
    He dove with the Miestell twins RIP Bill (owners of Dive N Surf 1950's to 2011, Body Glove)

Pics of these guys holding up lobsters by the antennas at their waistline with the tail dragging on the ground. Beach BBQ's in Baja with fire pits and 55 gal steel drums cooking 6 to 15 pound lobsters. (way before my time I'm only 51)

FAST FORWARD TO THE 1980'S. A buddy of mine used to hoop at a spot sometimes with one flat net. He could count to 60 seconds and pull it then sort through the shorts for a 1/2 to 1 hour limit.
    Then came the internet.

He doesn't hoop any more still has a 17' Whaler. He can't believe the amount of hoopers these days.

LOBSTERS NEED 15, 20, 30 + YEARS TO BECOME A BIG BULL
    AND GET TO A SIZE TO DEVORE SEA URCHIN WHICH INCREASES KELP BED SIZES

A DFG SLOT LIMIT IS COMING DOWN, I'd bet anybody $100 it is coming in the next few years.

They are already working on it. 3 1/4" to 5" DFG LAW Carpace ONLY.
    DR

How does a lobster grow?

5 to 7 years for a one pounder.

Lobsters grow by molting. This is the process in which they struggle out of their old shells while absorbing water, which expands their body size. This molting, or shell-shedding, occurs about 25 times in the first 5–7 years of life. Following this cycle, the lobster will weigh approximately one pound. It may then only molt once per year and increase about 15% in length and 40% in weight. They can grow to be 3 feet or more.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0854908.html

DR, ( Now kinder and gentler.)

[wish you where here]

::: get the full experience-play while you read :::

[wish you where here]

Sunday the 9th of October 2011,

da ROAD TRIp...

well, my lady and I left Yucaipa at 5:43 pm to Mission Bay 2011 1st trip of the season!!!
    traffic was flowing, the sun was setting as usual at a westerly direction. My emotions of anticipation were relentless but were kept at bay by the 55phr limit set by the 14" or 12" tires on the newly modify 5.6' x 3 trailer...shhh... don't tell the DMV.... addition of 1.6'. But whatever...the trip was tranquil as time is slow down and patience is imbedded into my routine when pulling the trailer. I seem to notice more of the beatiful land and on how fortunate we are to live in this great location on earth call CALIFORNIA.............

a culmination of 4 years of lobster fishing at the pier ... to start a new era.......by free flowing in the vastness of the PACIFIC.
    Last edited by madmax951; 04-05-2012 at 12:20 AM.

"everything was running through my mind" onto anticipation of what was to come........

so, after an almost 2 hour drive and a stop at t walmart for the Lobster report card. we arrive at the free 24hr Dana launch ramp in Mission Bay San Diego.

Here is a link to coastal launch ramps through out southern California for future reference.
    http://www.thelog.com/Marinas/LaunchRamps.aspx

I was a little concern but was relieve when I saw others gearing up to catch bugs like me.

It took us 15 minutes to inflate the avon diggy and put the all the gear and outboard on board. I like the flexibility of the inflatables but sometimes wish i had a fix boat. But then again, I'm not sure if towing an aluminum boat with trailer would exceed the 1000# capacity of my Corolla, lol.

The conditions at the bay where low 60s with a full moon above.

Not knowing where to start dropping my nets and just follow some other anglers. I stayed far enough to give them plenty of room so not to threaten them for their space.

I cracked the glow sticks that I saw as a tip on a You Tube video by inserting them into either a gallon milk jug or some type of container, in my case i put them in 2 liter coke bottles...mmm coca cola...

By taking some of you guy's advise about devastating lobster population by not giving specifics details, my first drop was in the jetty area.

I had previously set up the length of the slack of rope to be near 50ft along baiting all bait cages before hand. Believe me this advise of initial preparation is very helpful.

So down went 2 pro mar eclipse hoop nets with a separation distance of about 100 ft. for approximately 15-20 minutes.

My 1st drop was somewhat successful just wrong species, caught a 7" octopus...which i try to grab but slip between the mesh. The second net reveal nothing. So i gave the general area I was in another try and dropped my fishing pole while i waited the recommended time of 15-20 minutes. what would you know, the macks where out and caught a very nice one during my second drop. So the game plan now was to catch MACs while i wait..hehe...

Hooping to the south area was useless so tried the north. It was like on my 3rd drop when out comes a very nice keeper! woot... plus 4 more macs in the bag for future baiting the cages. My hopes where up cause a keeper was in the boat.

The moon was nice and big as huge majestic waves rolled beneath me as it humble me in the shear size, power, and beauty of being out in the ocean surrounded by a sea of darkness and the city lights in the distance.lighted up for no reason.... but for those of night... like us.

through out the rest of the night, as confidence set in, i started to get more efficient on my drops and was covering more area. My 7th drop reveal one more keeper 2 small ones which back they went to be caught another day. 8th drop, as i worked myself more into the bay got me another set of small ones to throw back and a small sting ray, which lucky it just fell out with out bringing out the pliers. Fresh in my memory of seeing a grown man cry after the barb of a sting ray penetrated his arm after not being cautions around one. It was like by 14th drop that got me 2 more keepers.

1am rolled in and i had been in the water since 8... the 7 to 8 boats that seem to be out there for the bugs, slowly made them-self back in. It was like 1:15am and being satisfy with my catch i too followed in. except I had to limp in because my out board seemed to be having issues because it would skip if i put in full throttle. felt like loosing traction. so i swung the lower part of the outboard out of the water to inspect for damage. but didn't notice any thing wrong it. cold from not bringing something that would keep me dry from getting wet after each retrieval I inch back the cripple ship back in. It was a long 20 minutes back in.

Aside from the potentially damage outboard, my concerns of being my 1st time out on a boat for lobster quickly instilled confidence as the night had gone by. I think it was just not knowing the unknown but like the slogan goes........... JUST DO IT.

doing my homework before hand had help allot but next time i know what to expect and be even better prepare for the bugs.
    Hope you enjoyed and ty all for the advise. My advise back is there is nothing like it till you experience it for yourself.

I hope the outboard is ok? I haven't checked it yet. Any one ever experience traction type issues?

forgot the camera at home but took some pics later on.\\\

thank the food of LIFE for continuing to give us LIFE... your sacrifice is not in vain!

Last edited by madmax951; 10-21-2011 at 03:36 AM.

WTG on the roaches! Carne and lobster looks goodnon the grill. I don't known the best harbor for bugs but I'd just say Oceanside isn't one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast