Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hello from Reseda

Default Hello from Reseda

Hi folks,

I've been fishing on and off since high school over 20 years ago but I still consider myself new at it. I was never successful really. I fished just to hang out with friends but now I want to take it more seriously and share this interested with my 7 year old son.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Thanks to the nice lady in Azusa Canyon from last Sunday for telling me about this forum.

Eric

Welcome pokerdawg. What type of fishing do you do? Fishing with your kid is priceless. I still remember as a kid my dad would wake me and my brother up super early to go fishing. I hated it because I would rather have slept, but now I think back and they were good times.
    Good luck!~

Quote Originally Posted by casting call View Post
    What type of fishing do you do?
    I've been going to freshwater lakes as of late. I've been to Castaic and Isabella. I went to Crystal Lake in Angeles Forrest just last week. I'm looking for my first catfish.

I've been very unsuccessful so I have a lot to learn. The times I have caught fish have always been exciting and memorable. I use to fish at Redondo Beach pier back in high school for mackerel.

Pokerdawg,

If you don't mind fishing at a city park, Balboa Lake is full of tilapia and green sunfish.

I took a group of kids, ages 7 to 10 there last Saturday and had a ball.

Take a smallish (size 8 or 10) bait hook and stick on an inch-long piece of night crawler. You can "fly-line'" this bait or put a small split shot about 10" above the hook. Most of the fish right now are in fairly close so you don't need to cast far.

The fish aren't monsters but there are lots of them.

Like other urban park ponds the water in Balboa is "reclaimed." This skeeves out some people, but the reality is that the water isn't any worse (and often times much better) than your average stretch of Long Beach shore line. We've been going there for years with no ill effects. But we definitely don't eat anything we catch there...

Welcome to the forums! I'm like you... fished before, never that good, but wanting to get better. This site can definitely help with that.

Good luck. Hopefully you and the little man have a lot of fun fishing ahead of you.

Welcome, you will have lots of fun here.

Great to see a shout out from my home town of Reseda, welcome to the board!

TD

Welcome Pokerdawg! PM me, I'm in the valley too and maybe we can fish sometime.

How's it going Pokerdawg?
    Welcome to the site, learn and pass it on to your son...
    Robert
    <><