Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15lb Braid/12lb Berkley Mono Uni to Uni knot failure

the mod albright is the best i believe, i use 20lb powerpro and either 6 or 8lb izor. the problem might also be that the dia. of the braid is no where near that of the mono. you want to try and match line dia. 20lb PP has a dia of 6lb and 30lb has a dia of 8, so that 15 is probly closer to 4lb dia.

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Give this knot a try- Simple Simon Double Knot
    I've been using it on:
    30lb. braid to 15 or 20lb. mono
    65lb. braid to 40lb. fluoro or mono

http://www.marinews.com/bait-present...n-double/2211/
    Same knot as the modified albright.

????
    The pics show Braid that looks a whole lot heavier then 15#??????

Also very thin braid WILL cut mono in a heart beat.
    But you say the braid is breaking????
    Defective Line, take it back...

Why Red??? Worst color you can use!!!! (Catches fisherman, not fish!!)....
    Red is the most visible color in the Spectrum IMO..
    When light diminishes the Pigment is still visible as Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    ????

x2 go with green.

Default NT responds...

WhichWayOut wrote:
    I was talking to SWAT member Roy aka Q3fishboy awhile back and he had some braid issues. If I remember right the line was defective and he got it replaced. I'll give him a call and see if he can add to the conversation
    WWO, Thanks for getting Roy pointed this way......I knew I was asking the right people....again Thx, huge help.

q3fishboy wrote:
    Hope this was helpful.
    Bill, Are you kidding, HUGE help. Thank you very much for your input and careful discription of the events you had, clears up a lot of questions......

SP Dan
    Hey John,
    I read your thread and then I went to tackletour.com and clicked on "three way premium braided line show down". You should check it out! It talks about "carrier" strength: 4 to 8 strands, color and strength coatings on different spectra braided lines, compares lines to others, the causing of wind knots and snapping off of braided lines during casting as you mentioned and which lines perform better in windy, breezy conditions. Some results: Suffix doesn't do as well in the wind.
    It mentions that some braided lines will bury deeper into the line wraps on the spool than others.

A lot of the braided line characteristics that q3fishboy had mentioned above are on the mark. Thank you q3fishboy for the priceless information!

I found it to be a good read! I makes me think about going to 30# or even 50# Toray's Super Finese or Diawa Samuri (both have 8 carriers). Still thinking....hmmmmm.....jury still out. lol

The site also it mentioned the use of the "Alberto Knot" to tie the fluorocarbon leader (Megabass Dragon Call) to the braided line, with the braided tag end tied back upon it's self with a uni knot. I've never heard of the Alberto Knot, have you?

I hope this was some what helpful.

That's all I've got!

SP Dan <"))><

Okay. here you go. fishingclub.com click on... knot wars. Look for modified Albright virus the Uni and look for just tying the modified Albright, also refered to as Alberto.

It's worth a look, eh?!??

Dan
    Dan, Thx for the info, great sites for review and helps make a more educated decision. Hopefully others will gain something from it as well, very cool
    Because they still seem to all have the breaking issue I will be continuing to use mono until funding allows me to move to the best braid money can yeild. You asked about my use of the swivel, was using it to make my braid/mono connection for leader. Now that I have got to the point of making reliable knots I was moving to top-shotting when this issue presented itself. BTW, got your PM, will be in touch soon.

Fishnfun
    I don't think your issue is with the knot. But, if you want to try a different knot that is said to be stronger than the uni-uni, see this video on the modified albright knot. Hope you solve your problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_2xautA1U
    Fishnfun, I guess I should have said breaking "at" the knot. I was guessing because of the location of the break that possibly the mono knot was squeezing the braid causing it to break there? I feel now based on the info from q3fishboy I was overloading the line during the testing and exceeding the design capacity of the braid. Thx again.....

PUDD MASTER BAITER
    as most people who know my love for all braid.when i first started using it i would use a swivle,till i met an old timer who should me a knot that goes right thru the guides,strong and easy to tie.its a simple surgens knot but with three turns.i use it even when tieing 4lb mono to braid for drop shotting.give it a try,and i think you will be impressed.i can put a 8ft leader and it will knot affect your cast as ur lines goes thru the guides.hope this helps,and good luck...
    PMB, thx for the info, I will be adding that knot to the list, very good info.....

Psycho_fish'r
    What brand braid are you using? It sounds like your line is defective. It doesn't sound like your knot is the problem, otherwise, your breaks would've happened at the knots. You should try a different brand. I fish braid in all of my reels with a fluorocarbon topshot and never had an issue.
    I believe it is P-Line, actually not really sure because it was put on by a shop that offered it for free for buying a new rod the same time, hmmmm. Ahh, the breaks DID happen at the knots so not really sure what you meant. I want to get back to 100% braid because of the casting advantage....we'll see. Thx for commenting...

Cangler
    Superglue your knots
    Thought about that but now with updated info the knot itself is not the problem....thx

Yesterday, 11:41 AMbassmeister
    X2 on the Triple surgeons knot, did good with that knot Tuna fishing the last couple of years.
    Yup, adding that to the list of options, thx.......

IN2DEEP
    Give this knot a try- Simple Simon Double Knot
    I've been using it on:
    30lb. braid to 15 or 20lb. mono
    65lb. braid to 40lb. fluoro or mono

http://www.marinews.com/bait-present...n-double/2211/
    Thx for the site info and the idea, sure glad we got you seasoned guys, no replacement for experience, thx for commenting.....

vanillagurilla
    the mod albright is the best i believe, i use 20lb powerpro and either 6 or 8lb izor. the problem might also be that the dia. of the braid is no where near that of the mono. you want to try and match line dia. 20lb PP has a dia of 6lb and 30lb has a dia of 8, so that 15 is probly closer to 4lb dia.
    Ahh, kinda confused don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the comment but I'll have to think about your exact information in relation to what line your detailing. I don't understand what purpose it would serve to have 4lb mono tied to 15lb braid, dosn't that diminish your overall strenth? thx for commenting....

Nessie Hunter
    ????

Nessie Hunter, Hmm, I don't have the box it came in but thats what they told me, 15lb. The photo is magnified so might appear that way, dunno.
    Red is what was offered and being somewhat new to surf fishing and it was free I thought being able to see it myself would help me, didn't seem to affect the fish count so........
    I think at this point based on the info given I was exceeding the line capacity, thx for the comments.....I think....
    Last edited by Nipple Twister; 09-28-2011 at 04:48 PM.

im mearly suggesting using a line thats closer in dia to what you want to use. either got down in size on the mono or up in size on the braid. If you want to use 12-15lb mono use 30lb braid, 6-10lb mono use 20lb braid. remember that braid dosnt stretch so that knot takes ALL the shock and 15lb braid will break before 12lb mono from most mfgs.

Default Ohhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    im mearly suggesting using a line thats closer in dia to what you want to use. either got down in size on the mono or up in size on the braid. If you want to use 12-15lb mono use 30lb braid, 6-10lb mono use 20lb braid. remember that braid dosnt stretch so that knot takes ALL the shock and 15lb braid will break before 12lb mono from most mfgs.
    ....IC, makes perfect sense. Who knew that there were going to be so many options. Thx for getting me straightened out........ My bad......
    I'm just a dumb plumber, sometimes you gotta beat it in to me....thx man....

haha i did plumbing for 2 years, now i work at Express Pipe and supply plumbing warehouse... go figure lol.

Default NT responds:

too damn funny, small world huh? I have been "twisting nipples" for 30+ yrs now hopefully not too many more years and retire....hmm,fish M-F? NICE!

Hey, again thx for the info and sorting it out for me........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12